• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co ownership of Home after a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nucker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I've been divorced for a year, and my ex wife and I decided to co own our home. We pay our mortage, but have not indicated to our mortgage company that we are divorced. Will we run into problems if we sell the home?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I've been divorced for a year, and my ex wife and I decided to co own our home. We pay our mortage, but have not indicated to our mortgage company that we are divorced. Will we run into problems if we sell the home?
No, you will not...unless you sell the home for less than what you owe on the mortgage. Then it could get sticky.

mistoffolees

No, you will not...unless you sell the home for less than what you owe on the mortgage. Then it could get sticky.
It could also get sticky if the two of them have any disagreements on how to split the proceeds.

I've said it before - it is NEVER a good idea to leave loose ends in a divorce. Unless they have VERY specific wording in their decree about selling the house, maintaining the house, and how to split the proceeds, there could be trouble in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">