• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cohabitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkehoe8634

Is it illegal in Illinois to live with someone else once you have been legally divorced with children? Somebody told me it violates a Cohabitation law..

Thank You

Very Respectfully,

David Kehoe

cyjeff

Sometimes, jurisdictions will have a limit on the number of unrelated adults that live in a single dwelling, but I have never heard of any other type of cohabitation law.

I am not saying it doesn't exist... but it would be at a VERY low level of government... like town, district, borough or township.

Isis1

there is a cohabitation clause that can be attached to the divorce decree. now that is what they may have been referring to.

breaking that clause, does have some penalties.

cyjeff

there is a cohabitation clause that can be attached to the divorce decree. now that is what they may have been referring to.

breaking that clause, does have some penalties.
Yeah, but when he said "somebody" told him, it didn't sound like he was referring to his attorney or to a judge.

That usually means that "somebody" was drinking a beer at the time and thought he heard about a law somewhere.

Isis1

Yeah, but when he said "somebody" told him, it didn't sound like he was referring to his attorney or to a judge.

That usually means that "somebody" was drinking a beer at the time and thought he heard about a law somewhere.
LOL!! so true. i'm really not liking that group of people. there's Nobody, Someone, They, Somebody, and I Don't Know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">