• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cohabitation Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

poogle

What is the name of your state: California

I am completely new to this, and my english is not so good. So please excuse me if there are any mistakes
My friend is going to separate from her boyfriend after living with him for 6 years without marriage. They have 2 children ( 6 and 1 yr old). He is a real estate agent who completely "took care" of all financial matters in these past 6 years. She is a registered nurse who make around $100,00/year and she has been handing him all her paycheck up to now, while he has been using this money and her name/credit to purchasing property. There are at least four different loans under her name. She has no idea what has been going on for past 6 years as far as the financial matter are concerned. Now she was to separate and want to know what is the best thing to do to get out to this mess. She also wants to know whether she has any rights or share in the property which is under his name since they have two kids together?

poogle

Then what are friends for ?

Tell your friend to register and ask her own questions.
You asked me to ask her to register and post her own questions. I want to ask you a question, if your head was stuck in the crocodiles mouth and people standing by said to you that try to get out and call 911, how would you feel ?

Last edited:

Farfalla

You asked me to ask her to register and post her own questions. I want to ask you a question, if your head was stuck in the crocodiles mouth and people standing by said to you that try to get out and call 911, how would you feel ?
Well dear, when the crocodile has your friend by her head you know the entire situation... and the solutoin is easy (well easy if you are Crocodile Dundy), you kill the crock. If you cannot kill the corck you jab it in the eye with the sharpest thing you can find and it will realease it's hold on your friend. She might already be dead but.....

But with cases like the one you are talking about you don't know 100% of what is going on. Only your friend knows her situation 100%. That is why people what her to post... you'd be a great friend if you got her to post here.

By the way, if she does not know where all the loans, credit cards, etc. tell her to get her credit report. I'm sure she can find out how much she's in debt that way.

Now there are also very important issues like has her boyfriend been forging her names on things because if he has he she could most likely have him prosecuted.... be the good folks here need to talk to her to ask her such questions.

The wrong legal advice, based on your being a 3rd party without all the info could cause your friend great trouble and great loss.

LdiJ

I agree with the idea that she should pull her credit report (all three agencies) to find out exactly what kind of debt is in her name, and to whom.

She also needs to find out, what kind of property has been purchased, and whether or not her name is on the deed.

She is probably going to need a consult with a local attorney.

She also needs to cut him off from any access, whatsoever, to her paycheck or bank account. She needs to cancel any credit cards that he has access to, or any joint cards, immediately.

TinkerBelleLuvr

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

It's my favorite price - FREE. Accesses all three credit reporting agencies. You have the right to access, for free, you report once every 12 months.

Farfalla

If she does not know what property he has purchased, she can go to the court house where he's been buying property and do a seach on his name and her name. I just hope he did not put the mortgages in her name and the property in his.

If he did, she needs to look at prosecuting him fraud, forgery and everything else seh can think of... she'll need an attorny for this.

majomom1

She let the boyfriend handle her affairs for 6 years and now YOU are handling them?

Your friend needs to handle her own life. We learn from our mistakes, but only if WE fix them on our own. That is how you stay out of the crocodiles mouth and never get in that position to begin with.

gfl_ladydeath

If she does not know what property he has purchased, she can go to the court house where he's been buying property and do a seach on his name and her name. I just hope he did not put the mortgages in her name and the property in his.

If he did, she needs to look at prosecuting him fraud, forgery and everything else seh can think of... she'll need an attorny for this.

Thats exactly what i was thinking and from viewing ALL the pages in this forum.
She could prosecute him for fraud.

majomom1

I don't think he could put her name on the mortgage and 'only' his on the deed. Hopefully she didn't "blindly" sign any documents... but my guess is she did.

LdiJ

I don't think he could put her name on the mortgage and 'only' his on the deed. Hopefully she didn't "blindly" sign any documents... but my guess is she did.
There has appeared to be many cases where this has happened, that have been presented on these forums. I personally don't know how the mortgage companies allow that to happen.

majomom1

There has appeared to be many cases where this has happened, that have been presented on these forums. I personally don't know how the mortgage companies allow that to happen.
That is what leads me to believe that he asked her to sign papers-- and she did, without reading them.

I also don't understand why the mortgage company would allow it either, but some people seem to find every loophole out there!

Farfalla

Hopefully not. Usually the mortgage company requires that the mortgage holder is on the deed. though there are cases where two people are on the mortgage and only one of them on the deed. But with a con artist one never knows what they will pull.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">