• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collect money judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rwl92

What is the name of your state? Washington

Our divorce was completed September 20, 2005 and our agreement on our decree of dissolution states that I will receive $10,000 from my ex-wife from her acquiring our property at the completion of our dissolution. I have left several messages for her and she is not responding. She is completely aware of this court order and since she is not returning my calls I am considering filing a contempt motion, however I was told that this cannot be used to force payment of a money judgement (other than child support or spousal maintenance). I've also been told I could file a Garnishment or a Execution and Lien Foreclosure. Not sure what to do or what steps to take.

brisgirl825

rwl92 said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

Our divorce was completed September 20, 2005 and our agreement on our decree of dissolution states that I will receive $10,000 from my ex-wife from her acquiring our property at the completion of our dissolution. I have left several messages for her and she is not responding. She is completely aware of this court order and since she is not returning my calls I am considering filing a contempt motion, however I was told that this cannot be used to force payment of a money judgement (other than child support or spousal maintenance). I've also been told I could file a Garnishment or a Execution and Lien Foreclosure. Not sure what to do or what steps to take.
How long does the court order give her to pay it?

rwl92

The Court Order is the Decree of Dissolution in Washington state and a time frame is not provided. It states "Respondent pays Petitioner $10,000 at completion of dissolution of marriage, by agreement between parties for acquiring real property."

LdiJ

rwl92 said:
The Court Order is the Decree of Dissolution in Washington state and a time frame is not provided. It states "Respondent pays Petitioner $10,000 at completion of dissolution of marriage, by agreement between parties for acquiring real property."
What does the 10k cover? Has enough time reasonably passed for her to accomplish whatever needed to be acomplished to come up with the funds?

For example, if she had to complete a refinance of something in order to give you the 10k...she may not have had enough time to accomplish it.

rwl92

Enough time has passed. She refinanced back in June and our agreement was that she pay me $30,000 when the refinance was completed (which I received) and an additional $10,000 at the completion of our dissolution of marriage, which was September 20, 2005.

LdiJ

rwl92 said:
Enough time has passed. She refinanced back in June and our agreement was that she pay me $30,000 when the refinance was completed (which I received) and an additional $10,000 at the completion of our dissolution of marriage, which was September 20, 2005.
Then take her back to court for contempt.

rwl92

Contempt was my first choice, however after some research online I found that a contempt motion cannot be used to force payment of a money judgement other than for child support or spousal maintenance. This money was an agreement for her acquiring ownership of our house. Not sure what my other options are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">