• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collect on my death benifits/social security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R.COOK

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW JERSEY. CAN MY EX. WIFE COLLECT ON MY EMPLOYERS DEATH BENIFITS FOR ME? ALSO DOE'S SHE HAVE ANY CLAIM ON MY FUTURE SOCIAL SECUITY PAYMENTS WHEN I RETIRE? WE HAVE BEEN DIVORCED FOR 25 YEARS,SHE'S BEEN LIVING WITH THE SAME MAN FOR THOSE SAME YEARS. BOTH IN NEW JERSEY AND FLORIDA. I'VE BEEN REMARRIED FOR THE PAST 15 YEARS. ANY HELP WITH ANSWERS WOULD BE GREAT!! THANK YOU

mistoffolees

If your divorce is final, then you can name a different beneficiary. But you have to take action to name someone else as beneficiary.

Social Security is a little more complicated. She can not under any circumstances take your social security benefits unless there is a court order saying that you have to pay her from your benefits.

She CAN, however qualify for her own benefits on the basis of your employment history. IIRC, you must have been married for 10 years or more and she could collect up to 1/2 of the amount of your benefits. However, if her own work history would give her a greater amount, she would collect from her own work history. That's all from memory, do a google search for the rules for social security for divorced couples, but since it won't affect your benefits, why do you care?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">