• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Commingling?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

415sanfrancisco

I am in the last stages of a divorce. I had a joint Savings account a few years ago with my soon to be ex wife. My father gave me a gift of $40,000 that I deposited to this account. It was a monetary gift given to me solely. The cashier's stub proves that the cashier's check was in my name only.

So I deposited this money into our joing savings account, which she never withdrawed or contributed to. The money was not touched the entire time it was in the joint account. About a year later, I took the money out and put it into a money market account, but only in my name. We already had seperated at this point.

I even have a declaration from my father that the money was intended for me only. It was a gift from him since he never was around when I was younger, so when he came across this money from an old investment, he decided to give it to me to do whatever I wanted with it. As selfish as it sounds, he gave it to me and me only (Again, this is in writing by him in a declaration).

So does she still have rights to half of this money (we are in California)? She is now stating that this money (which she knew had nothing to do with her) is hers because my father gave it to the 'both of us' to buy a home in the future (which is a bold face lie).

This account was a joint account, which she and I never touched or contributed to while in this account and the money was given to me solely (I have a cashier's check stub to show that it was given to me only and a declaration from my father that it was gift to me).
So again, does she still have right to half of it?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">