• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common Law... am I mistaken

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tigger22472

What is the name of your state? This refers to FLA.

There is all this talk about Terri Schiavo in Florida and how her husband has lived with this woman for 10 years and has two children. I can't say that I've heard an actual attorney use the term 'common law' however it's being said all over. The way I understood it was that there is no such thing as common law in Fla. and that there are few states that even honor this anymore even at all. I also realize that for common law to apply they have to protray themselves as married and refer to themselves as husband and wife, which I've not heard but doesn't mean it doesn't apply. I am just curious if this law even applies in Florida at all or once again the media is exaggerating. Also isn't the fact that he's still technically married anyways make it impossible to be married by common law to someone else?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tigger22472 said:

There is all this talk about Terri Schiavo in Florida and how her husband has lived with this woman for 10 years and has two children. I can't say that I've heard an actual attorney use the term 'common law' however it's being said all over. The way I understood it was that there is no such thing as common law in Fla. and that there are few states that even honor this anymore even at all. I also realize that for common law to apply they have to protray themselves as married and refer to themselves as husband and wife, which I've not heard but doesn't mean it doesn't apply. I am just curious if this law even applies in Florida at all or once again the media is exaggerating. Also isn't the fact that he's still technically married anyways make it impossible to be married by common law to someone else?

My response:

Common law marriage cannot be created in Florida. Therefore, your question is moot as it relates to Florida. However, in general, your last sentence is correct; i.e., since Shiavo is still married to his PVS wife, a valid common law marriage could not exist, anyway. But, like I said, this is a moot question.

IAAL

tigger22472

Thank you.. that is what I thought. Coming here all these years reminded me there was no such thing in Florida anyways. I was just curious with the media AND political 'circus' that has been created over all of this

Eyez4U

tigger22472, why are you concerned about Terry Schiavo's husband and what he does? Like I am always liable said, this is a moot question.

S

seniorjudge

tigger22472 said:

The media sometimes uses "common law husband (or wife)" instead of "live-in boyfriend (or girlfriend)".

Like so many other things we read/her in the media ("living will" and "reverse discrimination" come to mind), this makes no sense but it makes a nifty sound bite.

tigger22472

Eyez4U said:
tigger22472, why are you concerned about Terry Schiavo's husband and what he does? Like I am always liable said, this is a moot question.

I am concerned as the media and those involved in fact deceive the public in believing that 'common law' marriage is honored in Florida when in fact it's not. I am concerned with the 'law' and have discussed this case in my classes for school dealing with law and I wanted confirmation. But thanks for asking

S

seniorjudge

tigger22472 said:
I am concerned as the media and those involved in fact deceive the public in believing that 'common law' marriage is honored in Florida when in fact it's not. I am concerned with the 'law' and have discussed this case in my classes for school dealing with law and I wanted confirmation. But thanks for asking
What on earth ever made you think the media (consevative, liberal, or otherwise) cares if it is deceiving the public?

Eyez4U

seniorjudge said:
What on earth ever made you think the media (consevative, liberal, or otherwise) cares if it is deceiving the public?

Exactly why I responded the way I did.

tigger22472

seniorjudge said:

I totally agree with you.. as if they have ever cared that they are deceiving the public... I just didn't want to allow them to deceive me. I can see it now.. all these posters coming here talking about how they are in Fla. and they are in a common law relationship. Besides that I feel that I can do my part in my little spot in the world to correct that wrong even if it doesn't go beyond my house.

BlondiePB

tigger, below is the FL statute about common-law marriage.

741.211 Common-law marriages void.--No common-law marriage entered into after January 1, 1968, shall be valid, except that nothing contained in this section shall affect any marriage which, though otherwise defective, was entered into by the party asserting such marriage in good faith and in substantial compliance with this chapter.

P.S. If you're interested in how the Advance Directives were legally ruled and challenged read Chpt. 765 of FL statutes.

tigger22472

BlondiePB said:
tigger, below is the FL statute about common-law marriage.

741.211 Common-law marriages void.--No common-law marriage entered into after January 1, 1968, shall be valid, except that nothing contained in this section shall affect any marriage which, though otherwise defective, was entered into by the party asserting such marriage in good faith and in substantial compliance with this chapter.

P.S. If you're interested in how the Advance Directives were legally ruled and challenged read Chpt. 765 of FL statutes.
Thank you. It never hurts to be more up on the legalities of things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">