• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

common law divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bondedkitty

My wife and i have been seperated for over 5 years. She lives in Reno Nevada, I live in Michigan. We have 1 child together. I cannot find her on the internet, by phone or by mail. I would like to know how long i will have to wait till we are common law divorced. I have been quoted prices up to $1,000 for the divorce process. This is an amount that i cannot afford. Is there any law that says we are divorced after a certqin amount of time being seperated? Or the fact that I cannot find her? I know that in some states after you are living together for so long you are considered married. In my current state of address this is 7 years and I have lived with my current girlfriend for 5. will this take effect even though I am still married in another state? Pleas help me with advice.

Last edited:

D

dorenephilpot

If you cannot afford to hire legal counsel, you're going to have to do it yourself.

Notice in many states can be done by publication, which means that you don't have to find your spouse in order to divorce him/her.

You have to run an ad in a publication, stating that you plan to do a divorce and giving the person a deadline to respond.

Good luck hitting the law books!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">