• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

common law divorce in new jersey (common law marriage in texas)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crewge

i am located in new jersey. recently my grandmother has moved here to new jersey from texas, leaving behind her husband of a "common law marriage". she has opted for a divorce but does not know how to obtain one. she has asked my to pull as many sources as i can. now new jersey does not recognized common law marriages, unless they take place in another state, which this one did {texas}. does she need to file for a divorce in texas, or can she file in new jersey. also how does one go about filing for a divorce from a common-law marriage. is it the same as a regular divorce? i hope i can find answers to these questions and also would appreciate any more additional information that anyone can offer.

J

jen6791

common law

I am not sure but my friend had a common law marriage in tx and because she had a child she had to get a divorce. All she did is go to a divorce atterney and they did a non contested divorce and it was simple and cheep.

C

crewge

much appriciation

i am grateful, for your help, but im curious, because there was no child, does the same thing still need to occur, as far as filing, claiming uncontested, and finishing?? :confused:

JETX

crewge said:
does she need to file for a divorce in texas, or can she file in new jersey.
If/when she meets the residency requirements for New Jersey, she can file there.
Residency Requirement:
(1) One of the spouses must be a resident of New Jersey for at least 1 year prior to filing for divorce or (2) when the cause for divorce is adultery and took place in New Jersey, 1 of the spouses must have been a resident (no time limit). The divorce may be filed for in any county in New Jersey. [New Jersey Statutes Annotated; Title 2A, Chapters 34-8 and 34-10].

also how does one go about filing for a divorce from a common-law marriage. is it the same as a regular divorce?
Yep.

also would appreciate any more additional information that anyone can offer.
Never wear sandals when walking in a cow field.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">