• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

community asset rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

petunia28

CA
My husband opened a business but refuses to allow me any information about it. I want to look at the books to see what it is really worth and to obtain copies of his tax information. I have reason to believe that he has been less than honest with the finances. Can I go to his shop to look or make copies of records and transactions?

mistoffolees

CA
My husband opened a business but refuses to allow me any information about it. I want to look at the books to see what it is really worth and to obtain copies of his tax information. I have reason to believe that he has been less than honest with the finances. Can I go to his shop to look or make copies of records and transactions?
If he refuses to let you look at the books, what makes you think that barging in on his office would help? In reality, it could make it worse, because he could tell the court you are interfering with his business.

Petition the court for discovery to require him to turn over the relevant information.

Some Random Guy

Petition the court for discovery to require him to turn over the relevant information.
Although this was posted in the Divorce, Separation and Annulment category, I don't see where the poster said they are divorcing and have an open court case.

But if they are not divorcing, it sure sounds like they should.

mistoffolees

Although this was posted in the Divorce, Separation and Annulment category, I don't see where the poster said they are divorcing and have an open court case.

But if they are not divorcing, it sure sounds like they should.
You're right - I assumed that a divorce was pending due to the forum. If they're not divorcing, there's probably not much she can do to get that information.

She should be certain NOT to sign any joint tax returns or other documents, though.

Another clarification is that she may very well not get access to the records if the business has no marital content. For example, if he opened it after filing for divorce, it may be considered irrelevant for property division purposes (it could, of course, be relevant in terms of alimony if that is awarded).

In any event, OP needs to provide more details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">