• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Community and Personal Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tracyd

What is the name of your state? California

My ex has been storing his personal property at my house now for over 2 years after numerous request that he remove it. Our divorce is not yet final we have only receive Bifurcate status. Can I request storage fees since I am not legally allowed to sell anything?

nextwife

What is the name of your state? California

My ex has been storing his personal property at my house
Do you rent? Is this a house you owned F&C premaritally? Is he a partial owner, does he have a marital interest in the property where the stuff is located??

tracyd

Yes I rent. Originally the house was rented together. I have informed the landlord I am getting a divorce. It is month to month rental.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes I rent. Originally the house was rented together. I have informed the landlord I am getting a divorce. It is month to month rental.
Do you have a court order removing him from the property? If not then he is still entitled to be there. And you can't charge him interest or storage fees. If there is an order requiring him to move from the home and take his stuff then you go back to the court and file a motion asking them enforce this.

tracyd

No I don't have a court order, but it sounds like time to get one. I was hoping to apply some leverage to get him to move it by threatening to charge him storage fees. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">