• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

community property division

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flora2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?TX
If I present a gift (money) to my minor child (for graduation) before filing for the divorce will it be it viewed as a community property during the divorce and my spouse will be entitled to half of it ? Should my spouse agree with the decision to give this present to my minor child ?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?TX
If I present a gift (money) to my minor child (for graduation) before filing for the divorce will it be it viewed as a community property during the divorce and my spouse will be entitled to half of it ? Should my spouse agree with the decision to give this present to my minor child ?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
How much money are we talking about? What percentage of your annual income would that money be?

Basically, if you are presenting your child with a graduation present that seems in line with what a parent of your means would normally present a child for graduation, its not going to be a problem.

However, if you present your child with a gift that is way outside of the norm/what's reasonable, then it could be a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">