• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

community property/separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fuguedup

What is the name of your state? new jersey

my wife received an inheritence 2 years ago. she has bought a house without my knowledge with that money, and has told me that she will be moving alone.
she has left the door open for reconciliation but seems to feel that it will take at least one year.

my understanding is that unless i move with her, i have no rights to the house under new jersey law.

my quesion is:
is ther a time period (1 year?) after which the property will remain hers, even if i subsequently move in?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

fuguedup said:
What is the name of your state? new jersey

my wife received an inheritence 2 years ago. she has bought a house without my knowledge with that money, and has told me that she will be moving alone.
she has left the door open for reconciliation but seems to feel that it will take at least one year.

my understanding is that unless i move with her, i have no rights to the house under new jersey law.

my quesion is:
is ther a time period (1 year?) after which the property will remain hers, even if i subsequently move in?

My response:

I don't know where you're getting your information from, but New Jersey is NOT a "community property" State. It's a "separate property" State.

That house was hers, and hers alone, the moment she signed the purchase and closing documents. It will always remain hers, and hers alone.

If you decide to move there with her, you will be, for lack of a better word, her "guest".

IAAL

F

fuguedup

boy toy is not a role i ever envisioned. but sounds like it might be glamorous?

i thought i might have some rights.
maybe not to ownership, but perhaps to live in?
that is if she ever allows me back.

thanks for the advice gentlemen. i do appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">