• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

community property settlement after the divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JAIMEKIM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? louisiana

My husband & i want sell our home the only issue we have the title is under both his name and his previous wife's name.

They were divorced four years ago, we still owe $65,000 on the home. We can sell it for $125,000 she wants $20,000 if we sell.

He did not do community property when they filed for divorce, so if this is done what or the odds that home will be given to my husband. We are still paying the notes every month.

They husband also had to file banrupcy before the divorce, because she had if $36,000 in debt.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? louisiana

My husband & i want sell our home the only issue we have the title is under both his name and his previous wife's name.

They were divorced four years ago, we still owe $65,000 on the home. We can sell it for $125,000 she wants $20,000 if we sell.

He did not do community property when they filed for divorce, so if this is done what or the odds that home will be given to my husband. We are still paying the notes every month.

They husband also had to file banrupcy before the divorce, because she had if $36,000 in debt.
If the house was not addressed in the divorce decree, then its 50% her property (no differently than if he owned it with a business partner, for example). Your husband is lucky that she is only asking for 20k.

The woman your spouses ex-wife cant demand any share from the house , because you related that she had $36,000 in debt. I can guess out why they both have not do community property,the truth concealed solong was they were afraid of being found out they were in bankruptcy

she cant demand any share from the house because she never continued to pay the notes,whch desinated she had signed the houses title over to you.The only share she could demand is the notes she paid before she divorced your now spouse .

LdiJ

The woman your spouses ex-wife cant demand any share from the house , because you related that she had $36,000 in debt. I can guess out why they both have not do community property,the truth concealed solong was they were afraid of being found out they were in bankruptcy

she cant demand any share from the house because she never continued to pay the notes,whch desinated she had signed the houses title over to you.The only share she could demand is the notes she paid before she divorced your now spouse .
What? You are completely incorrect...as well as somewhat incoherent.

I don't know where you get the idea that not making the mortgage payments constitutes a quit claim to any titled property, but you are completely incorrect.

mistoffolees

Please refrain from offering advice when you clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">