• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Compel the ex-wife to get a job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cvistak

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
The estranged spouse has not worked (though claims to want to) in over 15 years. The only child is 21 y. Will the court give her indefinite support or can she be compelled to be self-supporting when she clearly has no intention.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
The estranged spouse has not worked (though claims to want to) in over 15 years. The only child is 21 y. Will the court give her indefinite support or can she be compelled to be self-supporting when she clearly has no intention.
There isn't nearly enough information. Furthermore, nobody here can predict what a judge will do. You should consult with an attorney.

cvistak

Clearly I don't expect you to have a crystal ball re a judge. This is early stages, and I THOUGHT forums were for sharing experience and expertise. Why are you here?

Zigner

Clearly I don't expect you to have a crystal ball re a judge. This is early stages, and I THOUGHT forums were for sharing experience and expertise. Why are you here?
Let's say you walk in to a store and say "I want to buy a pair of shoes." Will you get pissy with the clerk when he says he doesn't know what size you wear?

:rolleyes:

Proserpina

Experience = needs to be State specific

Expertise = see above

Of course, a quick Google search will turn up oodles of links that may help

With that said, she has at least a decent chance of permanent alimony in the great state of California. Husband evidently supported her being a SAHM.

Now, who are you in the equation?

Zigner

Experience = needs to be State specific

Expertise = see above

Of course, a quick Google search will turn up oodles of links that may help

With that said, she has at least a decent chance of permanent alimony in the great state of California. Husband evidently supported her being a SAHM.

Now, who are you in the equation?
I recently saw a case where a wife of over 15 years wasn't awarded anything for alimony. It's very fact-dependent. That is why the OP would be better served by speaking with a local attorney for anything other than generalizations.

Of course, the OP would rather ask a vague question without giving details and then stomp his feet when it's pointed out.

cvistak

Zi

This is totally worthless other than to keep someone with over 50,000 self-indulgent posts on an anonymous legal forum amused for a few minutes. May be time to go outside and see the sun Zigner.

Zigner

Throwing a tantrum here isn't going to help.

Please seek the assistance of an attorney who can better advise you while keeping in mind the climate of the local courts.

LdiJ

This is totally worthless other than to keep someone with over 50,000 self-indulgent posts on an anonymous legal forum amused for a few minutes. May be time to go outside and see the sun Zigner.
I am sorry that you don't understand that questions that vague cannot be answered.

However, if you make a decent amount of money, and she hasn't worked in 15 years, in the state of CA its possible that she could get permanent alimony.

That is the best that anyone can tell you without more facts.

CSO286

The courts cannot compel a person toget a job--that is tantamount to ordering a company to hire a person. What they could do is issue a seek-work order.

But that puts your guy-friend in exactly the same situation he is currently in.

Bali Hai

Ok, let me share my experience. The state of CA is not going to support your ex if you have the means to do so. No crystal ball needed, it's a fact. If you choose to make the same mistake, you will get the same result.

Proserpina

Ok, let me share my experience. The state of CA is not going to support your ex if you have the means to do so. No crystal ball needed, it's a fact. If you choose to make the same mistake, you will get the same result.

Holy moly.

I actually agree with Bali.

:D

(though I'd modify - lifetime support isn't a given, but in this case I can see it being ordered)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Could ask you the same question. You do realize that we won't be insulted if you go off and pay someone for your advice, right? So hurry along your way - you have nothing to see here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">