• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Competency Hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

603to978

What is the name of your state? NH

My wife's lawyer has come up with a new way to keep us from moving our divorce from court to mediation. She's told my wife that I may be mentally incompetent and that I could, therefore, later repudiate any agreement we reach in mediation.

I am currently being treated as an outpatient for anxiety and depression. While this limits the amount of time I can work (or participate in legal proceedings, etc) to a few hours at a stretch, it certainly doesn't affect my ability to know where I am, what I am doing, what is mine, etc.

The judge has schedules a hearing for later this week to consider whether a competency hearing is required. My wife's lawyer has told the court that my wife can not afford to depose my shrinks. My docs have offered to write a brief report to the court confirming my competency and capacity.

Any advice on how I should play this? If the judge determines that something has to be done to settle this question, should I offer the report of my docs or should I let the court appoint a shrink to examine me?

Can I legally challenge a court ordered assessment? If so, how?

I am pro se in the case.

Many thanks.:confused:

David

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">