• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Complex separation Isssues- NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JohnJacob

New Jersey
Filing for a separation, primarily to shield each other from the other's debts until she returns next august. don't know if it will lead down or not. Wife is overseas on a minimal budget, I do NOT want to pull my credit cards from her, as they are her emergency backup. Am I still responsible for any irresponsibility if we file a separation and don't cancel the cards?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

The CC company doesn't care one bit whether or not you're married, separated or divorced. All they care about is that a potential debt can be accrued on the cards, and that you authorized their usage.

So, no matter what you do, if she uses the cards, you'll be on the hook. If you don't want the financial responsibility, cancel the cards.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">