• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Compulsive Gambler

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrsmoomoo

What is the name of your state? CA

My husband is a compulsive gambler. He takes out loans and credit cards in his own name, but without my consent. I am wondering if I am legally liable for his debt if we are to divorce or if he were deceased. Obviously, I do not want to be liable and I am wondering if a divorce or seperation is my only option? We do not own a home and do not have any joint bank accounts, credit, or loans. If we do get a seperation/divorce we would continue to stay in the same household for our child's sake.

Thank you in advance for whatever advice you can give me!What is the name of your state?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? CA

My husband is a compulsive gambler. He takes out loans and credit cards in his own name, but without my consent. I am wondering if I am legally liable for his debt if we are to divorce or if he were deceased. Obviously, I do not want to be liable and I am wondering if a divorce or seperation is my only option? We do not own a home and do not have any joint bank accounts, credit, or loans. If we do get a seperation/divorce we would continue to stay in the same household for our child's sake.

Thank you in advance for whatever advice you can give me!What is the name of your state?
CA is a community property state. Therefore yes, you are liable for any debt that he accrued during the marriage.

If you don't want to continue to be liable for any further debts...then divorce or legal separation would be your only solution.

However, if you share a home, you can't be legally separated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">