• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Josetorres

Georgia
I'll try to give a brief history. My ex obtained a lawyer and filed and we went through mediation. I have paid most of what was agreed to and both agreed(because of citation for contempt) to get remaining balance from my 401k when her lawyer files qdro. Although it's been more than a year and her lawyer hasn't figured out how. Duh. My attorney died. I didn't start alimony when scheduled because spouse's lawyer refused to give quit claim. Received another contempt, but didn't realize her lawyers typos until filling out my own contempt papers. Her lawyer had me as defendant on heading(which is correct), but body was citing contempt on plaintiff(my wife) and she even signed it as attorney for defendant.
That hearing is already over and I'm waiting for the hearing on the contempt that I filed.
My question is would her lawyers errors on the one motion effect anything else in the entire case? Before the last hearing, her attorney called me, knowing my attorney had died, trying to intimidate and coerce me into signing some papers instead of hearing in front of judge.

justalayman

There is nothing improper about the other party's attorney contacting you directly when you have no legal representation. If you had an attorney, the other party's attorney would be required to address your attorney. Not all communications take place in court (in fact most
Don't). Much of any case is dealt with outside of court.

What was the result of the last contempt hearing?

Josetorres

Result of contempt hearing was for me to pay the two months alimony to catch up. I just wanted to get in front of judge to show that her and her attorney was being unreasonable for not giving quit claim. But judge couldn't do anything right then because it wasn't on his docket. He told me I had to go through process of filing contempt.
My question still is, about the mis wording on her latest contempt. Even though that is over, does the mis wording have any effect on any other filings?

I also couldn't find an answer to this: My hearing date on the motion I filed is a few weeks out. Since the judge will only hear what is on his docket that day, if my ex wife's attorney file her own motion with a date that is sooner, would I be able to ask the court clerk to move my date up to theirs?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">