• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict Of Interest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Quantum

New York

Greetings, I am in a divorce proceeding. I am a male with a male attorney.
My lawyer was asked to be lead counsel on a different matter with my soon to be ex-wife's attorney who is a female. I've heard my lawyer bantering with his other lawyers about how my wife's attorney "wants him".
I find this inappropriate to say the least. My question is this. Is it proper for my attorney to accept my wife's attorney's request to be her lead counsel on a "large" case that she acquired, while he's still supposed to diligently defending his client? I feel he's lost some interest in my concerns. Thank you,

quincy

New York

My lawyer was asked to be lead counsel on a different matter with my soon to be ex-wife's attorney who is a female. I've heard my lawyer bantering with his other lawyers about how my wife's attorney "wants him".
I find this inappropriate to say the least. My question is this. Is it proper for my attorney to accept my wife's attorney's request to be her lead counsel on a "large" case that she acquired, while he's still supposed to diligently defending his client? I feel he's lost some interest in my concerns. Thank you,
I agree with you that your lawyer's comment about the female lawyer was inappropriate. Men can be pigs sometimes.

Following are two links for you to read over and, if you have any questions, you can post back. The first link is to the New York State Bar Association's Rules of Professional Conduct (click on the "Conflict of Interest" rules), and the second link is to New York City Bar ethics frequently asked questions (see question and answer #1).

Rules: http://www.nycourts.gov/rules/jointappellate/ny-rules-prof-conduct-1200.pdf

NYC Ethics: http://www.nycbar.org/ethics/ethics-faq

If you are uncomfortable with your attorney working closely with your wife's attorney, you should discuss this with your attorney. Most attorneys will not compromise their own clients' cases.

Bali Hai

New York

My advice:

Get another lawyer. I am reasonably certain that the outcome of your NY divorce will not meet your expectations no matter who represents you.

If you feel that your present lawyer has lost interest in your concerns, it's time to drop kick him. Not that another lawyer could or would do any better. You are a man in NY divorce court. Enough said.

LdiJ

My advice:

Get another lawyer. I am reasonably certain that the outcome of your NY divorce will not meet your expectations no matter who represents you.

If you feel that your present lawyer has lost interest in your concerns, it's time to drop kick him. Not that another lawyer could or would do any better. You are a man in NY divorce court. Enough said.
Op, please ignore Bali Hai. He is extremely bitter about his divorce.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My advice:

Get another lawyer. <blather>

If you feel that your present lawyer has lost interest in your concerns, it's time to drop kick him. <blather blather>
You did have some good advice - I fixed it for you.

cyjeff

Wait, folks... it is all about context.

It would not be unusual for one attorney to "want" another attorney to aid in a case if the second attorney had skills that the first attorney lacked that were also critical to the case.

In other words, it may be completely appropriate to say "she wants me" as a partner attorney.

All about context.

quincy

It would not be unusual for one attorney to "want" another attorney to aid in a case if the second attorney had skills that the first attorney lacked that were also critical to the case.

In other words, it may be completely appropriate to say "she wants me" as a partner attorney.

All about context.
It is nice to see you back on the forum, cyjeff. I am going to disagree with you. :p

It is not all about context. It is also about how what is said is interpreted by others. A smarter attorney would say "she has asked me to assist" or "she wants my help."

I stick with my "pigs" comment - although I will accept Proserpina's assertion that women can be equally piggish (and I agree with Proserpina that "ish" can be added to just about anything :)).

Bali Hai

All about context.
You confirmed why attorneys are politicians.

Proserpina

It is nice to see you back on the forum, cyjeff. I am going to disagree with you. :p

It is not all about context. It is also about how what is said is interpreted by others. A smarter attorney would say "she has asked me to assist" or "she wants my help."

I stick with my "pigs" comment - although I will accept Proserpina's assertion that women can be equally piggish (and I agree with Proserpina that "ish" can be added to just about anything :)).
It IS pretty fabulous to see cyjeff back, isn't it? :D

More than fabulous-ish. Plain old fabulous! ;)

Bali Hai

She didn't say piggish, or ish. Have another brandy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">