• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict of interest ????? Please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clcogburn85

Oklahoma ...Wife just filed for divorce and is wanting me to sign a just crazy custody agreement but my question is . Is it a conflict of interest if my soon to be ex wife has hired my second cousin as her attorney? It seems to me that it would be but I'm not sure . Can anyone answer this for me please ?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Oklahoma ...Wife just filed for divorce and is wanting me to sign a just crazy custody agreement but my question is . Is it a conflict of interest if my soon to be ex wife has hired my second cousin as her attorney? It seems to me that it would be but I'm not sure . Can anyone answer this for me please ?
No. It would not be a conflict of interest for a distant relative of yours to represent your soon to be ex-wife.

Do you think your wife retaining your distant relative gives her an unfair advantage?

Clcogburn85

No I do not . But I do think it could possible give her the unfair advantage . So with that being said could I use that as means to file conflict of interest to keep her from using him ?

Just Blue

No I do not . But I do think it could possible give her the unfair advantage . So with that being said could I use that as means to file conflict of interest to keep her from using him ?
No. As your second cousin and wife feel no conflict it is not an issue.

quincy

How close are you to your second cousin (e.g., do you see or correspond with each other frequently)?

Here is a link to the Oklahoma Attorney Rules of Professional Conduct, Rule 1.7, Conflict of Interest: http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=448851

It is not uncommon, especially in a small community, for an attorney to know many of the residents. The fact that an attorney knows an opposing party or is related to an opposing party does not necessarily preclude that attorney from representing the other side in a legal action. The specific facts of the relationships matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">