• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Connecticut divorce Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

diver999

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I have a number of general questions about divorce in CT. I understand that CT is not a community property state.

Background: Both my wife and I have relatively high paying professional jobs. My annual income is about 2X hers. We have 4 children ranging from 7 to 17. We own a home that is heavily mortgaged.

Q1: Is alimony automatic or can I push for no alimony since we both have well paying jobs? What drives setting the alimony level in CT?

Q2: How does the court typically establish child care costs? In my situation would it be assumed that I am responsible for 2/3 of the cost and my wife 1/3 because of our income levels?

Q3: Are stocks and stock options (provided to me by my company) in my name considered my asset or would this be divided?

Q4: Are monies in a checking account in my name considered my asset or would this automatically be considered a joint asset?

Q5: What is the basic model the court follows in dividing up assets.

Q5: Is there still a standard "bias" against the husband in divorce proceedings in regards to alimony, child support, custody, etc.?

Sorry for the simplistic questions. Just beginning to look into this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">