• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consequences of previous marriage not final?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qhlawadvice

What is the name of your state? CA now. NY previous for spouse.
I have a dilemma. My wife and I are in the process of pulling together some documents we need for an adoption situation. In going through our documents, we cannot find the final divorce decree for my wife from her previous marriage in NY. I have all my documents. We have been married for 6 1/2 years. We are now questioning whether or not my wife's lawyer ever finalized the paperwork on the NY divorce. We are trying to contact NY for a record of the final divorce decree. This is the tough part. What are the repercussions if her divorce is not final? Her ex-spouse has also remarried. We have property and other things as a married couple. Her ex-spouse has property, natural and adopted children with his new spouse. Please advise.

LdiJ

qhlawadvice said:
What is the name of your state? CA now. NY previous for spouse.
I have a dilemma. My wife and I are in the process of pulling together some documents we need for an adoption situation. In going through our documents, we cannot find the final divorce decree for my wife from her previous marriage in NY. I have all my documents. We have been married for 6 1/2 years. We are now questioning whether or not my wife's lawyer ever finalized the paperwork on the NY divorce. We are trying to contact NY for a record of the final divorce decree. This is the tough part. What are the repercussions if her divorce is not final? Her ex-spouse has also remarried. We have property and other things as a married couple. Her ex-spouse has property, natural and adopted children with his new spouse. Please advise.
Don't panic yet. If her ex also remarried and has adopted his wife's children..or adopted with his wife, its likely that your wife is just missing the paperwork. He would have had to go through the same thing you are dealing with now when he adopted. Therefore if it had been a real issue it would have "reared its ugly head" then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">