• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Considering Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

installerguy

What is the name of your state? Florida

I am considering divorcing my wife, reasons I believe are N/A, and she does not want a divorce.

My concerns are what she is entitled to in divorce. We lived together for 4 years before marriage. I had a DBA checking account before we were married, after we were married I formed an LLC under the same DBA name with myself as the managing member. I later added my wife to the LLC as a registered agent(she is not a member) only an agent. I purchased 2 new vehicles, 1 for her and 1 for me with cash and titled both vehicles in my LLC name. I also paid off her vehicle that she had before we were married. We own a house together, the mortgage is in her name only but I have 1/2 interest in the house that is deeded to me. I have made $60,000 of home improvements and I pay all of the bills. My wife does not work!!

I am assuming my wife will get 1/2 of the house in a divorce? Is my wife entitled to any assets that are in my company name? I forgot to mention that my wife is on my LLC checking account as she writes all of the bills.
I have also pulled all $$$ from LLC account and put into another private account.

thanks for any advise,

Last edited:

seniorjudge

installerguy said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I am considering divorcing my wife, reasons I believe are N/A, and she does not want a divorce.

My concerns are what she is entitled to in divorce. We lived together for 4 years before marriage. I had a DBA checking account before we were married, after we were married I formed an LLC under the same DBA name with myself as the managing member. I later added my wife to the LLC as a registered agent(she is not a member) only an agent. I purchased 2 new vehicles, 1 for her and 1 for me with cash and titled both vehicles in my LLC name. I also paid off her vehicle that she had before we were married. We own a house together, the mortgage is in her name only but I have 1/2 interest in the house that is deeded to me. I have made $60,000 of home improvements and I pay all of the bills. My wife does not work!!

I am assuming my wife will get 1/2 of the house in a divorce? Is my wife entitled to any assets that are in my company name? I forgot to mention that my wife is on my LLC checking account as she writes all of the bills.
I have also pulled all $$$ from LLC account and put into another private account.

thanks for any advise,
Florida considers marital misconduct in a divorce.

http://www.smartdivorce.com/articles/misconduct.shtml

Are there more facts you want to share?

Q: I am assuming my wife will get 1/2 of the house in a divorce?

A: Probably correct; she may also get alimony.

Q: Is my wife entitled to any assets that are in my company name? I forgot to mention that my wife is on my LLC checking account as she writes all of the bills. I have also pulled all $$$ from LLC account and put into another private account.

A: Sounds like it's half hers also.

installerguy

ok, here are some facts****************************

1)There is no abuse going on!

2)I never wanted my wife on any of my business accounts, she argued with me about this for months until I gave in.

3) she does not work, nor does she want to. She spends $$ like crazy

4) she has less than $2,500 in our entire marriage & homesite

BelizeBreeze

installerguy said:

2)I never wanted my wife on any of my business accounts, she argued with me about this for months until I gave in.

None of that matters. Take all of your financial data to an attorney because we can't read it from the internet.

But you're not getting out as you'd like to.

What matters are facts of the financial standing of the two of you AS A COUPLE, NOT what you THINK she deserves.

seniorjudge

installerguy said:

Marital misconduct usually means adultery.

You best be getting a very good divorce lawyer.

Be able to document her profligacy.

installerguy

BelizeBreeze said:
What matters are facts of the financial standing of the two of you AS A COUPLE, NOT what you THINK she deserves.

no abuse or adultery on either part

I don't quite understand, the financial standing is all mine, she has not contributed financially since before we were married and I made my company what it is now.
She is entitled to 1/2 or more of what she did not help build? :confused:

Is she entitled to any investments that may financially loose?

also, we have been married less than 1 year, if it matters.

thanks everyone for the advice

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

installerguy said:

I don't quite understand, the financial standing is all mine, she has not contributed financially since before we were married and I made my company what it is now.
And this is why I told you to get a consult with a local attorney. You have no idea what you're talking about.

You're married. You converted the DBA DURING THE MARRIAGE, to an llc.

And who was feeding you, screwing you, keeping the home so that you could make money? YOu have a rude awakening if you think you can or will just walk away.

Again, that depends on a COMPLETE review of all relevant facts, documents and tracability of assets.

seniorjudge

installerguy said:

also, we have been married less than 1 year, if it matters.

Lawyer.

Now.

installerguy

ok, thanks for the help. I will seek an Attorney

I did not mean to offend anyone and I did not expect to walk away free.
I just don't think she should get half or more of my company assets which is all I'm worried about.

sorry to those offended,

Regards

seniorjudge

installerguy said:
ok, thanks for the help. I will seek an Attorney

I did not mean to offend anyone and I did not expect to walk away free.
I just don't think she should get half or more of my company assets which is all I'm worried about.

sorry to those offended,

Regards
You didn't offend anybody.

It was immediately apparent that you have a very serious problem but had a very unrealistic view of it.

Just call it a splash of cold water in your face....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">