• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cc423

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Ok, I'm down to the wire with this Tax exemption crap.
If I file and take my daughter as the exemption (IRS has told me via phone I am entitled to the deduction as I have everyother year), but my messed up divorced decree is unclear and ex wants to take her even though he has no benefit, he makes less that $8,000.00 /year.
I am the Custodial parent. I have not signed a 8332.
If he drags me back into court and I'm found in contempt, whats the worst that can happen?
Thanks...

S

seniorjudge

Q: If he drags me back into court and I'm found in contempt, whats the worst that can happen?
A: You would have to refile as a noncustodial parent.

S

seniorjudge

Q: Thats all the court will do? Make me refile? What about penalties from the court?
A: If the court has a civil contempt hearing and says you have committed contempt, you will get a chance to cure. The cure will be the refiling. If you don't refile (continuing our worst case scenario) then you could go to jail for criminal contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">