• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt of Court/Divorce Judgment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nycva06

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? US

Need some help! My ex-wife and I divorced in NY 2007..we had no property together except for a vehicle that was in her name soley..but because it was purchased after the marriage judged said i was responsible for have of it. ( $14,000) well since then i moved to another state but have been on and off..we had another child in 2010. We tried it again i moved back to NY Jan of 2011 and unfortunetly it did not work out so i moved out May 2011. Now she is taking me back to court on contempt charges. Since 2007 she has sold and traded in the vehicle 3 times. Am i still responsible for these payments? Can i be held in contempt although she sold/traded in the vehicle? I think she is retaliating..to go back to court after all these years.

TinkerBelleLuvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? US

Need some help! My ex-wife and I divorced in NY 2007..we had no property together except for a vehicle that was in her name soley..but because it was purchased after the marriage judged said i was responsible for have of it. ( $14,000) well since then i moved to another state but have been on and off..we had another child in 2010. We tried it again i moved back to NY Jan of 2011 and unfortunetly it did not work out so i moved out May 2011. Now she is taking me back to court on contempt charges. Since 2007 she has sold and traded in the vehicle 3 times. Am i still responsible for these payments? Can i be held in contempt although she sold/traded in the vehicle? I think she is retaliating..to go back to court after all these years.
confused here. Was she awarded the car but you were responsible for the payment? Do either of you still have THIS car?

nycva06

She was awarded the vehicle and I was to pay for vehicle half of the vehicle. I was to pay $14,000 on it. But she sold the car or traded it for 2 other vehicles.

TinkerBelleLuvr

I would probably take it to an attorney for a quick consult. Have your divorce decree with you. If it was done right, you were responsible for half the payment of THAT PARTICULAR CAR LOAN. Car gone ... poof.

nycva06

@Bali
Yes that is correct i was to pay for these payments totalling $14,000 but i guess what my question is..Am I still responsible for these payments if she has sold the vehicle twice, Seems like she is trying to reap the benefits twice over same vehicle..sold for a more expensive car kept it then traded it in for her current car. Original car was not repossessed she traded it to upgrade TWICE. She is claiming Contempt and financial hardship

nextwife

You would not necessarilly be responsible for SUBSEQUENT vehicles!

Once the debt is paid off, it doesn't exist.

If I own a house, and have a fifty thousand dollar mtg, I sell that house, payoff the loan, buy another, then do so again, I don't have a debt on the first house anymore.

Last edited:

Bali Hai

You would not necessarilly be responsible for SUBSEQUENT vehicles!

Once the debt is paid off, it doesn't exist.

If I own a house, and have a fifty thousand dollar mtg, I sell that house, payoff the loan, buy another, then do so again, I don't have a debt on the first house anymore.
I'm wrestling with why she got to keep the original car and the judge made him pay for half of it. It was a marital debt, but she retained possession of the asset. She got the car and what did he get for his half of the car payments? Zippo!

If she keeps the car, she gets to pay for it! If not, sell the car and split the proceeds, if any.

nycva06

I am going to go back and read over the divorce judgment..and at that the loan on car was in her name soley..we actually had NO properties in both of our names..only big purchase was her the car and it was in her name. In addition to that, why are all these years she is trying to take me to court..never said a word about it then..until now that she knows for sure it is over. Also i have not been served yet..i know about the contempt because she hired a supposed private investigator or process/ serve to serve me however they are keep going to my mother's house and job. when she knows i do not live there anymore..and when i went to P.O to have my mailed fwd to where i currently live she cancelled the request and then txt me. " I received your confirmation of change of address, THANKS now i know where you live and will have them serve you there" BUT no one has come to my new residence..I keep getting calls from a "private investigator" that keeps threatening to testify against me that i have been avoiding this "LEGAL Document". This is totally riduculos..i feel like i am living a horrible fatal attraction..HELL.

TinkerBelleLuvr

If you get an attorney, have your attorney ask for your legal fees to be paid for a frivolous suit - assuming that the specific loan is covered. if you paid the loan until it was sold, you will most likely be covered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">