• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt of Divorce Decree - Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

micnic2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I got divorced in Oct of 2004 (with no lawyer).
In the divorce decree it says that I pay the mortgage and fix up the house and ex wife pays the homeowners insurance.
When sold and after paying off the mortgage - Ex wife reimburses me 1/2 of mortgage payments from her part of the proceeds and I reimburse her 1/2 of homeowners insurance with my part of proceeds. She would also have to reimburse me 1/2 of the expenses to fix the house (out of her proceeds). Everything was split down the middle to be fair.

Ex wife made 2 payments on homeowners insurance and let it lapse. Insurance company called, and I paid. She never made anymore payments, and since the house has to have insurance I've been paying ever since.

I've been trying to fix up the house in my spare time with my own money. I have since remarried and have had twins.

I had the house appraised in its current condition (its a fixer-upper).
I have made so many mortgage and insurance payments on the house that once the house is sold and the mortgage paid off... after she paid me back 1/2 of the mortgage and insurance out of her proceeds, she would still owe me money.

At the beginning I wanted to buy her out, but she said that the was worth twice whats its appraised.

I would like to buy her out but its past that point. She would not sign a quit claim.

I have no idea where she is now or how to get a hold of her.

Can I file a contempt of court to get reimbursed or can I get just get her off the deed without signing a quit claim since she will owe me money.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I got divorced in Oct of 2004 (with no lawyer).
In the divorce decree it says that I pay the mortgage and fix up the house and ex wife pays the homeowners insurance.
When sold and after paying off the mortgage - Ex wife reimburses me 1/2 of mortgage payments from her part of the proceeds and I reimburse her 1/2 of homeowners insurance with my part of proceeds. She would also have to reimburse me 1/2 of the expenses to fix the house (out of her proceeds). Everything was split down the middle to be fair.

Ex wife made 2 payments on homeowners insurance and let it lapse. Insurance company called, and I paid. She never made anymore payments, and since the house has to have insurance I've been paying ever since.

I've been trying to fix up the house in my spare time with my own money. I have since remarried and have had twins.

I had the house appraised in its current condition (its a fixer-upper).
I have made so many mortgage and insurance payments on the house that once the house is sold and the mortgage paid off... after she paid me back 1/2 of the mortgage and insurance out of her proceeds, she would still owe me money.

At the beginning I wanted to buy her out, but she said that the was worth twice whats its appraised.

I would like to buy her out but its past that point. She would not sign a quit claim.

I have no idea where she is now or how to get a hold of her.

Can I file a contempt of court to get reimbursed or can I get just get her off the deed without signing a quit claim since she will owe me money.
I would recommend getting a consult with a local attorney. There may be something that you can do...but you really need the answer from a local attorney.

micnic2

I would recommend getting a consult with a local attorney. There may be something that you can do...but you really need the answer from a local attorney.
Thank you for your advice...
Should I look for a real estate attorney or a divorce attorney?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">