• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contempt or what ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neinfrared

What is the name of your state (CT)?

Wife was served on the 5th of April with divorce papers. Since then, she has:

cancelled me off the auto insurance so I cant drive the cars

took a 4 day getaway to NY; came back that day, said she was leaving for a week or so, didnt tell me where she was going in writing (according to law) took another 3 day getaway on the other side of the state

running up credit card debt and spending money like it comes out of a garden hose

hasnt given any money for the house or kids (1 is 18 the other 16)

took the other set of car keys for the other car and wont return the keys or the other vehicle

changed her mailing address to her mothers house

her quote when told : F*** the court, I'll see them when I see them

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (CT)?

Wife was served on the 5th of April with divorce papers. Since then, she has:

cancelled me off the auto insurance so I cant drive the cars
What happened when you reinstated the insurance on the car you drive?

took a 4 day getaway to NY; came back that day, said she was leaving for a week or so, didnt tell me where she was going in writing (according to law) took another 3 day getaway on the other side of the state
Are you sure the law requires her to do that? I have never heard of such a law in any state.

running up credit card debt and spending money like it comes out of a garden hose
What happened when you cancelled the joint credit cards?

hasnt given any money for the house or kids (1 is 18 the other 16)
She isn't required to do so unless a judge orders her to do so.

took the other set of car keys for the other car and wont return the keys or the other vehicle
Why didn't you take your set of car keys and go get the car you habitually drive, (after reinstating the insurance, of course).

changed her mailing address to her mothers house
I would have done that too.

her quote when told : F*** the court, I'll see them when I see them
Again, what did you expect?

CatFood

Are you sure the law requires her to do that? I have never heard of such a law in any state.
On this question, could it be that OP had a statement in divorce papers that were served about this due to the children involved (or at least the minor)?

If that's the case, you must also make sure that it's something that states that she would not be able to leave the state without written notice WITHOUT the kids. Otherwise, I've only heard of it being written that the spouses must have written notice when taking the kids.

Isis1

On this question, could it be that OP had a statement in divorce papers that were served about this due to the children involved (or at least the minor)?

If that's the case, you must also make sure that it's something that states that she would not be able to leave the state without written notice WITHOUT the kids. Otherwise, I've only heard of it being written that the spouses must have written notice when taking the kids.
he just served her. i think in this case, there are no orders yet....

CatFood

he just served her. i think in this case, there are no orders yet....
Then she's pretty much able to leave whenever she pleases.
Just record all of this information and keep as much paperwork as possible, and that way, when the court does come into play, you have all of your ducks in a row.
Until then, you really have no control over her.

neinfrared

These are Automatic Orders that must be abided to as soon as the other party is served:

2. Neither party shall incur unreasonable debts hereafter, including but not limited to, further borrowing against any credit line secured by the family residence, further encumbrancing any assets, or unreasonably using credit cards or cash advances against credit cards.

8. Neither party shall change the beneficiaries of any existing life insurance policies, and each party shall maintain the existing life insurance, automobile insurance, homeowner's or renter's insurance policies in full force and effect.

10. If the parties share a child or children, a party vacating the family residence shall notify the other party or the other party's attorney, in writing, within forty-eight hours of such move, of an address where the relocated party can receive communication.

BY ORDER OF THE COURT

FAILURE TO OBEY THESE ORDERS MAY BE PUNISHABLE BY CONTEMPT OF COURT

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
10. If the parties share a child or children, a party vacating the family residence shall notify the other party or the other party's attorney, in writing, within forty-eight hours of such move, of an address where the relocated party can receive communication.
You haven't said that she's moved. So she changed her *mailing* address to her mother's? I changed my mailing address to a PO Box so that MY mail would go somewhere my (then) stbx couldn't get hold of it. And even if she did move, she has apparently informed you of the new address. This does not preclude her going on a vacation. Or 10.

She's allowed to go on vacations w/o telling you where she's going.

She's under no obligation to provide support to you or for the kids w/o a court order.

You should reinstate auto insurance, and you could ask the court to find her in contempt. But don't sit around, w/o wheels, and whine.

Are the credit cards hers or joint? That might make a difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">