• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contest a final Divorce Decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tttjevans

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA
After 4 months of working together on a seperation agreement that included real property, cash, child custody, child support, retirement funds, taxes, personal possessions and alimony (neither party gets it) we were in agreement, signed with witnesses and notary and then completed the other divorce papers for a non contested divorce and seperated very peacefully. He refused to get an atty, so I typed up the paperwork of which the Judge reviewed and approved. We have now been divorced for 2 months. We were married for 20 years and split everything equally. Now, my X wants to contest the divorce decree. I don't understand this. It could be that reality has set in and now he is angry. I'm not sure what he wants. He dosen't want to modify anything with child support or visitation. He has mentioned wanting alimony or more money from me. I want to move on, but he has been calling and harrassing me. He drinks a lot, often and I am fearful. What are his rights to contest and what do you suggest I do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ten to one he won't get anywhere. He is too late to contest. However if he is a drunk, was he sober when the paperwork was prepared and signed?

tttjevans

Contest A final divorce

He was very sober when we signed the papers. We went to our local bank and signed them at the lobby customer service desk with notary in public and probably on tape. At the same time we closed our joint accounts and distributed the money. He reopened a new account there. Thank you

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA
After 4 months of working together on a seperation agreement that included real property, cash, child custody, child support, retirement funds, taxes, personal possessions and alimony (neither party gets it) we were in agreement, signed with witnesses and notary and then completed the other divorce papers for a non contested divorce and seperated very peacefully. He refused to get an atty, so I typed up the paperwork of which the Judge reviewed and approved. We have now been divorced for 2 months. We were married for 20 years and split everything equally. Now, my X wants to contest the divorce decree. I don't understand this. It could be that reality has set in and now he is angry. I'm not sure what he wants. He dosen't want to modify anything with child support or visitation. He has mentioned wanting alimony or more money from me. I want to move on, but he has been calling and harrassing me. He drinks a lot, often and I am fearful. What are his rights to contest and what do you suggest I do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
There is no way that he could modify child support or custody at this point without a very significant change in circumstance.

I also can't see him being able to modify the property settlement unless he could prove that you hid assets or something like that. If you split everything 50/50 he is barking up the wrong tree there.

Do you make more money than he does? A significant amount more? If not, I don't see how he could reopen the issue of alimony either.

I suspect that he is having difficulty living on his salary and also paying child support...particularly if he drinks away a lot of his money.

tttjevans

contest divorce

Thank you for your reply. He has not paid child support, nor his car insurance yet. He lives in a home titled to him that he now owns outright and recieves rental income of $750 month for another home he owns outright. He has no bills (except minimal child support he doesn't pay). He conveniently got fired from his job during the divorce. I made more money than he, however we both always worked. He got 1/2 my retirement and $35,000 cash. I think he fears having to get a job. I had a bonus paid after the divorce and that's the cash I have to live on as I am on commission selling real estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">