• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contested Divorce motion for dismissal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Journey31189

My husband up and left me and my nine year old son and filed for divorce based on constructive abandoment. This means not having sex with your spouse for a year. I got my husband on tape saying that we did make love and now I want the whole case dismissed, an I do that??

vrzirn

You cannot compel someone to remain married to you. If he wants to go he will file for another reason.

J

Journey31189

In California, the laws maybe different then those here in NY. In NY, the only grounds for a divorce is constructive abandoment, being in prison or a mental institution or filing for legal seperation for a year or more. Another part of my circumstance that I failed to tell you is that we are broke and I really mean broke. He has a lawyer that charges 260/hr for his services and mine is 200/hr and we have debts, a house, car, plus credit card bills . When we went to court for the pretrial conferece, the judge told us that we were too broke to get a divorce. He might be able to try and file for divorce again but based on what grounds?

Last edited:

vrzirn

It helps if you follow directions for posting-the ones in RED.
All that money down the drain for attorneys. You already answered your question: he will separate from you for a year. As for the tape, is it dated? He will claim it is 5 years old.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">