• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chevink1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My name is on two finance contracts as well as my husbands. The first is a car that he drives, makes payments and insurance. The second is a home soft-water treatment system for which I am no longer living in the home, he is. Can the Judge in a divorce court of law have my name removed from these contracts by court order since my husband is the sole responsible party (he has the car, and the home), and relieve me of any liable actions that may arise in the future?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My name is on two finance contracts as well as my husbands. The first is a car that he drives, makes payments and insurance. The second is a home soft-water treatment system for which I am no longer living in the home, he is. Can the Judge in a divorce court of law have my name removed from these contracts by court order since my husband is the sole responsible party (he has the car, and the home), and relieve me of any liable actions that may arise in the future?
The finance companies are not a party to your divorce. They cannot be ordered to remove your name.

Your (ex) husband CAN be ordered to refinance to have your name removed...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">