• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

councel fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New York

After numerous attempts and subpoenas agains the opposition they have yet to comply. due to a lack of ambition on my lawyers part there was never any orders or demands to give us this information, i now have a new lawyer that is going to do things the right way, but in light of the fact that the opposition failed to obey the multiple subpoenas could they be held responsible to reimburse me for the countless amounts of fees that i have had to pay my new attorney?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? New York

After numerous attempts and subpoenas agains the opposition they have yet to comply. due to a lack of ambition on my lawyers part there was never any orders or demands to give us this information, i now have a new lawyer that is going to do things the right way, but in light of the fact that the opposition failed to obey the multiple subpoenas could they be held responsible to reimburse me for the countless amounts of fees that i have had to pay my new attorney?
Subpoenas are orders/demands. If they disobeyed a subpoena that is contempt. Therefore if you win the contempt against them you could be awarded attorney fees.

I had asked about persuing a contempt charge and was told that one was not available.
I dont quite recall the reasons why,
We sent numerous "Subpoena Duces Tecum's" if that makes a difference, some of which were sent directly to the stbx.
None of which where complied with.

Is there a loophole that i dont know that would provide the stbx with a way to avoid the contempt charge?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">