• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Countless Motions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustrated2323

My fiancee' is constantly being harassed by her ex husband. He files countless motions over pointless issues. He is motivated by money. He is representing himself. Her lawyer is pretty much useless. Is there a way we can stop him from doing this all of the time? Is there a motion or a lawsuit we can file against him to stop this harassment?

thanks!

CSO286

My fiancee' is constantly being harassed by her ex husband. He files countless motions over pointless issues. He is motivated by money. He is representing himself. Her lawyer is pretty much useless. Is there a way we can stop him from doing this all of the time? Is there a motion or a lawsuit we can file against him to stop this harassment?

thanks!
A. US law only.

B. There is no "we".

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
This is US law. State being withheld for privacy reasons. There is a we this is her battle, i understand that. but it affects both of us therefore it is we.
A) Without the state NO ONE CAN HELP YOU. Each state has different laws.
B) There is NO "WE" legally. Get used to that. YOU cannot help her in court but can only hurt her. Is she even divorced yet?

CSO286

This is US law. State being withheld for privacy reasons. There is a we this is her battle, i understand that. but it affects both of us therefore it is we.
You do realize that the number of couples divorced/divorcing in this country is fairly significant, don't you? And the number in each individual state are pretty high in their own rights, too..... And a majority of those divorces aren't all hunky-dory. Fair to say that simply by naming the state (which is an essential piece of information in any legal sitaution), you'd still retain anonymity.

Second, this is her legal issue, not yours. It doesn't matter if you'r paying for the attorney, or simply holding her hand. It doesn't concern you. Your involvment can harm her situation. Really.

Oh, yeah, my pinkie promises.

(hijack trivia in honor of pro: Name the movie.)

Last edited:

frustrated2323

You do realize that the number of couples divorced/divorcing in this county in fairl ysignificant, don't you? And the number in each individual state are pretty high in their own rights, too..... And a majority of those divorces aren't all hunky-dory. Fair to say that simply by naming the state (which is an essential piece of information in any legal sitaution), you'd still retain anonymity.

Second, this is her legal issue, not yours. It doesn't matter if you'r paying for hte attorney, or simply holding her hand. It doesn't concern you. Your involvment can harm her situation. Really.

Oh, yeah, my pinkie promises.

(hijack trivia in honor of pro: Name the movie.)
I'll give on the state. It is RI. She has been divorced for 4 years.

LdiJ

I'll give on the state. It is RI. She has been divorced for 4 years.
About the only way to stop that kind of legal harassment is to hit them in the wallet. If you ask the court to make him pay her attorney fees, and convince the court that his motions are frivolous so that the judge is inclined to do so, that tends to make them stop.

She has also been in court enough over the last 4 years that she could possibly do it without an attorney herself, since he doesn't have one.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
About the only way to stop that kind of legal harassment is to hit them in the wallet. If you ask the court to make him pay her attorney fees, and convince the court that his motions are frivolous so that the judge is inclined to do so, that tends to make them stop.

She has also been in court enough over the last 4 years that she could possibly do it without an attorney herself, since he doesn't have one.
Truthfully HE needs to back off. Maybe the motions aren't frivolous. They may be contempt motions or something else of that nature. He shouldn't be doing anything in this situation.

frustrated2323

If fiance is winning all the motions and her attorney does not know how to ask for sanctions, perhaps it is time for a new attorney.
Thats what we are thinking. New attorney time. Plus it doesnt help that the judge doesnt directly hear anything she sends absolutely everything to mediation.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thats what we are thinking. New attorney time. Plus it doesnt help that the judge doesnt directly hear anything she sends absolutely everything to mediation.
And depending on the divorce decree, that may be a requirement. Of course since you are NOT a party to this, you most likely don't have the divorce decree in front of you -- should we guess that the motions concern children of the marriage?

tranquility

I'm guessing it is two people who are to stubborn to try to work things out and who would rather litigate everything. Sheesh. 4 years!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">