• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which County to File in?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I know that I'll have to see an attorney, but before I do I'm hoping someone can help here.

This is a question for my son, who is not able to post himself.

Son (husband) "lives" in Sumter County, he is an inmate at state prison in that county. Before he was incarcerated, he and wife lived in Polk County.

DIL (wife) apparently still lives in Polk County. Has been in and out of jail in Polk County and Pinellas County. Was reecently released from Polk CO jail and is on probabtion. The DOC website does not list her address, last known address was her Grandfather's home in Polk Co. Grandfather died 3 months ago, so wife might be staying at his home, but we don't not know for sure.

Wife was supposed to file for a divorce in Polk CO a year ago, did not file, and cannot be located.

Husband wants to file, knows that he might have to serve by publication. He has been told that he can appear at the hearing telephonically from prison.

What he needs to know is which County is can file in, his "residential" County, or his wife's last known residential County.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Can anyone help?
Thanks, Gracie:)

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I know that I'll have to see an attorney, but before I do I'm hoping someone can help here.

This is a question for my son, who is not able to post himself.

Son (husband) "lives" in Sumter County, he is an inmate at state prison in that county. Before he was incarcerated, he and wife lived in Polk County.

DIL (wife) apparently still lives in Polk County. Has been in and out of jail in Polk County and Pinellas County. Was reecently released from Polk CO jail and is on probabtion. The DOC website does not list her address, last known address was her Grandfather's home in Polk Co. Grandfather died 3 months ago, so wife might be staying at his home, but we don't not know for sure.

Wife was supposed to file for a divorce in Polk CO a year ago, did not file, and cannot be located.

Husband wants to file, knows that he might have to serve by publication. He has been told that he can appear at the hearing telephonically from prison.

What he needs to know is which County is can file in, his "residential" County, or his wife's last known residential County.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Can anyone help?
Thanks, Gracie:)
Are there property or child custody issues?

Why the urgency?

It would seem to me that the jailhouse lawyers would be able to answer that question even better than we could.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">