• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court ordered counseling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

camber71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I have a friend who was served with papers last night ordering him to 2 years of marriage counseling and forbidding him from moving out of the family home. What can he do?

cyjeff

Your friend can apologize for lying to you.

Unless your friend is under house arrest through a judge's decision, he can do whatever he wants and live where ever he wants.

No judge, to my knowledge, has ever demanded any couple go through marriage counseling EXCEPT in cases of child abuse or neglect.

If that was the case, the second order wouldn't make sense.

Have your friend sign on and we will be glad to help.

Just Blue

I have a friend who was served with papers last night ordering him to 2 years of marriage counseling and forbidding him from moving out of the family home. What can he do?
Are you the "friends" girlfriend/boyfriend?

Proserpina

Your friend can apologize for lying to you.

Unless your friend is under house arrest through a judge's decision, he can do whatever he wants and live where ever he wants.

No judge, to my knowledge, has ever demanded any couple go through marriage counseling EXCEPT in cases of child abuse or neglect.

If that was the case, the second order wouldn't make sense.

Have your friend sign on and we will be glad to help.

Interestingly, a whole bunch of states (WY, ND and TX off the top of my head) are pushing for mandatory marriage counseling before a divorce would be granted.

cyjeff

Interestingly, a whole bunch of states (WY, ND and TX off the top of my head) are pushing for mandatory marriage counseling before a divorce would be granted.
Interesting... learn something new every day.

However, how many of those also require the spouses to remain in the same home for a couple of years?

to me?

I think this is the other woman...Her dalliance with hubby was found out by the wife... but he doesn't want his extra piece on the side to know about that.

So he comes up with this whole "I gotta do this because it is a court order, baby, or else I would just cut the old bag loose" excuse.

Yeah... it's pretty much crap.

Proserpina

Interesting... learn something new every day.

However, how many of those also require the spouses to remain in the same home for a couple of years?

to me?

I think this is the other woman...Her dalliance with hubby was found out by the wife... but he doesn't want his extra piece on the side to know about that.

So he comes up with this whole "I gotta do this because it is a court order, baby, or else I would just cut the old bag loose" excuse.

Yeah... it's pretty much crap.

I totally agree. :cool:

(Or, "I can't leave her right now..the court won't let me...but I promise baby in 2 years I'll be free")

There's no WAY a court could order someone to remain married for 2 years AND reside in the marital home.

No. Freaking. Way.

OHRoadwarrior

Buy a case of ear plugs and two cases of 151, tighten up his belt and enjoy the ride.

cyjeff

I totally agree. :cool:

(Or, "I can't leave her right now..the court won't let me...but I promise baby in 2 years I'll be free")

There's no WAY a court could order someone to remain married for 2 years AND reside in the marital home.

No. Freaking. Way.
To the OP... a couple of things to consider here....

One... a man that will lie to a woman he promised to be faithful to in front of God, family and every friend he has will lie to anyone.

Two... a man that is trying to keep a woman on the side after he has already promised his wife he would try to repair the marriage through counseling is a piece of... well, if you got him on the bottom of your shoe, you wouldn't bother scraping it off... you would just burn the shoe.

You don't seem stupid. Prove it.

Proserpina

Sorry, I just noticed that this is a Washington thread.

So I'll clarify:

If John Doe files for a dissolution based upon irretrievable breakdown of the marriage, it will be granted even if Janey Doe disagrees, objects or otherwise protests.

In some counties the couple won't be heard by a judge unless they've attempted mediation (ADR) first; in other counties ADR must be requested. But mediation pertains to what happens with property, children etc., - not the marriage itself.

There is no such thing as "mandatory counseling" in WA. IF the couple agrees to counseling during a separation that's one thing. But the court won't order it against an objecting party's wishes. And certainly not for 2 years! That's ludicrous.

So OP. Your friend is either flat out lying, or doesn't know what he's been served with.

One other thing - it's unconstitutional to order someone to remain in the marital home against their will. :cool:

cyjeff

One other thing - it's unconstitutional to order someone to remain in the marital home against their will. :cool:
Actually, people are ordered on house arrest all the time.... so it isn't unconstitutional.

But there is no criminal act here where the accused agrees to this condition as part of probation.

OP.. yeah, you are being played.

Proserpina

Actually, people are ordered on house arrest all the time.... so it isn't unconstitutional.

But there is no criminal act here where the accused agrees to this condition as part of probation.

OP.. yeah, you are being played.

I misspoke. ;)

A family law judge cannot order a person to remain in the marital home against their will (a family law judge cannot order house arrest either but that's pretty obvious).

(It would be criminal/superior court ordering that little gem)

cyjeff

I misspoke. ;)

A family law judge cannot order a person to remain in the marital home against their will (a family law judge cannot order house arrest either but that's pretty obvious).

(It would be criminal/superior court ordering that little gem)
Yeah, I know.

I didn't want someone with an anklet thinking that they could go for a walk because they could fight it was unconstitutional.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">