• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

court ordered money to pay ex-wife,now in contempt of court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

strawbear5x

my state is illinois and i was ordered to pay half of bills in divorce decree. i have not been able to pay that money to her and she continues to take me to family court for more child support. i make about 50 thousand a year before taxex. have 2 daughters and pay 200.00 weekly child support 140.00 every 2weeks daycare and 50.00 a week health insurence. after that to live i have no money to pay her for bills she said she paid .judge says i am in contempy of court and unless i have the 7000.00 on july 3rd i go to jail for 35 days. i will loose my job and have to start all over again. can they send me to jail? please help me with an answer.

LegalBeagle

strawbear5x said:
my state is illinois and i was ordered to pay half of bills in divorce decree. i have not been able to pay that money to her and she continues to take me to family court for more child support. i make about 50 thousand a year before taxex. have 2 daughters and pay 200.00 weekly child support 140.00 every 2weeks daycare and 50.00 a week health insurence. after that to live i have no money to pay her for bills she said she paid .judge says i am in contempy of court and unless i have the 7000.00 on july 3rd i go to jail for 35 days. i will loose my job and have to start all over again. can they send me to jail? please help me with an answer.
Did you originally have an attorney? $1300/mnt is a lot of money.. but, if you are on 50k/yr then you should have had nearly 2k/month after taxes and payments to the ex.

In answer to your question, yes!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">