• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Outcome

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Child

What is the name of your state? California

How can I make this short?

My Mom got an extremely unfair amount of money from a property settlement in divorce proceedings:

1. My Mom's lawyer received paperwork from my Dad's lawyer for a motion to exclude certain (important) paperwork on Friday, court was on Monday. My Mom's lawyer did not have time to turn in rebuttal paperwork and the judge refused to accept it in court. Any recourse against my Dad's lawyer, my Mom's lawyer or the Judge?

2. My Dad's name is the only one on the property. There is proof that my parent's sold a jointly owned property and used $5K from this sale for a down payment on the property in question (purchased from his parents). The judge deemed it not community property because my Mom had no proof of the payments made after the down payment. She was awarded $2.5K for that property (which is currently worth nearly $1 Million). The judge denied her any money to compensate for the appreciation of the value of the property, without explanation. Is it possible to ask for an explanation from the judge?

3. The judge was angry with my Mom's lawyer for being late. The judge penalized the lawyer by giving her less time to present her case than my Dad's lawyer. Is this legally fair? Does my Mom have any recourse?

My apologies for the length. Thank you for your consideration of these questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">