• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aiaw123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I was divorced in Cook COunty in August 2007. In the court order my ex and I owned a motorcycle. I was being nice and said that my ex could pay me $400 a month until the bike was paid off then I would sign over the title to him. He owed my $3600 for the bike. Well, needless to say, he never paid me a penny.

Since my name is still on the title I'm worried about him not paying for license plate renewals or for tickets that he may recieve. I would like to take him back to court and ask the judge to order us to sell the bike since he did not pay me. The divorce states that he needs to pay me the $3600 and then I would sign over the title.

He doesn't respond to my phone calls or emails. I contacted my attorney and he said it would cost me $1500 in lawyer fees to take him back to court. Can I file myself since it was court ordered that he paid me? At this point I either want the bike back or I want the judge to force sale of the bike.

Thanks for any advice.

K

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

I was divorced in Cook COunty in August 2007. In the court order my ex and I owned a motorcycle. I was being nice and said that my ex could pay me $400 a month until the bike was paid off then I would sign over the title to him. He owed my $3600 for the bike. Well, needless to say, he never paid me a penny.

Since my name is still on the title I'm worried about him not paying for license plate renewals or for tickets that he may recieve. I would like to take him back to court and ask the judge to order us to sell the bike since he did not pay me. The divorce states that he needs to pay me the $3600 and then I would sign over the title.

He doesn't respond to my phone calls or emails. I contacted my attorney and he said it would cost me $1500 in lawyer fees to take him back to court. Can I file myself since it was court ordered that he paid me? At this point I either want the bike back or I want the judge to force sale of the bike.

Thanks for any advice.

K
You always have the right to file for yourself. However, if you mess it up, you may lose big time.

I'd have the attorney do it - and then ask the court to add the $1500 to what he owes you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">