• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prumbley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? al
My soon to be ex husband is purposely writting bad checks against our joint account just to be spitefull. I've called the DA's office and they are telling me that its a civil matter not a criminal matter. I've called the bank and they wont freeze the account. What do I do?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? al
My soon to be ex husband is purposely writting bad checks against our joint account just to be spitefull. I've called the DA's office and they are telling me that its a civil matter not a criminal matter. I've called the bank and they wont freeze the account. What do I do?
Close the account.

mistoffolees

Close the account.
That is the correct response.

However, I'm having trouble understanding why the DA would say it's a civil rather than criminal matter. It actually can be both.

Bad Check Laws by States-Civil & Criminal Penalties

According to the above source, it is both a criminal AND civil matter. The AL law specifies the criminal penalty for checks over $500 (up to 3 years in prison). For checks under $500, they can still file criminal charges, although the penalty is left up to the judge. Since he's doing it intentionally, I would wager on a penalty at the higher end of what the judge is allowed.

If you're not getting any help from the DA, I would call your Sheriff. If that doesn't work, call the mayor.

But close the account first.

prumbley

Well, the bank will not close the account because it's in the neg. they won't even freeze the account to keep him from doing more damage. The DA said its not criminal until the bank turns him in. If I open an account at the same bank, the bank can take money out of my account to satisfy the neg balance of the joint account!

Antigone*

Well, the bank will not close the account because it's in the neg. they won't even freeze the account to keep him from doing more damage. The DA said its not criminal until the bank turns him in. If I open an account at the same bank, the bank can take money out of my account to satisfy the neg balance of the joint account!
You are correct. They will not close the account until it is brought to a zero balance. You, as an account owner are held responsible for that debt, just as he is.

If you open another account at the same institution, they will exercise their right of set off to the recover any owed funds.

mistoffolees

Talk to the sheriff or a lawyer. I believe that you have the right to turn him in for criminal prosecution, as well.

mistoffolees

Talk to a bank manager. They CAN freeze the account. You can also request that the bank turn him in to the DA for prosecution. The clerk you're talking to may not bother, but a manager might. If that doesn't work, ask for the VP, branch manager, etc.

File a police report.

Open an account at another bank (that's actually a good practice for everyone going through divorce. Even if the bank doesn't intentionally take money from your account, it's too easy for them to make a mistake if you have multiple accounts there). Everyone can use another toaster, right?

Just Blue

Bring the account to balance and then close it. File a law suit against your ex for the costs you incurred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">