• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy soon-to-be-ex-wife question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RRevak

Thanks for the info, can you please cite your source?

We don't have any property to divide, actually. She does have some 401k, I don't, but i won't be going after that unless she gets nasty with me. She would only be doing this in order to cause harm to me, no reason other than that. Our house was in her name when we married, and we have no bank accounts together, etc. I can see her doing that, if possible, she loves to fight and loves drama. However, I'm not sure why a judge would even allow such a thing, considering it would have no bearing at all on the outcome of our divorce.

Can someone please remove the comments from the people above who are just trolling? thanks
There will be stipulations to the 401K. There will potentially be equity in the home. There were finances during the time of the marriage. That "very little debt" will also have to be dealt with. Do both of you have vehicles or at the very least A vehicle? There is much more to division than the basics you're trying to lay out here, I assure you. You're being obtuse if you believe otherwise. There is also much more than simple division of assets in divorce. Again, if you believe otherwise than you're back to being obtuse.

And to the bolded: Unless you completely glossed over the novela from an ATTORNEY that Pro posted, you've been shown otherwise. But if you did then one more time...YES, INFIDELITY CAN HAVE BEARING ON THE OUTCOME OF YOUR DIVORCE. YES, a judge CAN allow testimony if properly done. Got it now?

davew128

Because people who didn't do anything wrong wouldn't be so concerned about the potential of having the person they did "wrong" things with being questioned. They also wouldn't be so concerned that they log onto a legal website to find out whether the person doing the questioning could be stopped. Either this guy has something else to hide that he doesn't want outted by an angry soon-to-be ex, or he actually did sleep with this "friend".
Or maybe he doesn't want to see an innocent person dragged through the mud needlessly. :rolleyes:

Proserpina

Thanks for the info, can you please cite your source?

We don't have any property to divide, actually. She does have some 401k, I don't, but i won't be going after that unless she gets nasty with me. She would only be doing this in order to cause harm to me, no reason other than that. Our house was in her name when we married, and we have no bank accounts together, etc. I can see her doing that, if possible, she loves to fight and loves drama. However, I'm not sure why a judge would even allow such a thing, considering it would have no bearing at all on the outcome of our divorce.

Can someone please remove the comments from the people above who are just trolling? thanks

http://info.legalzoom.com/can-ask-divorce-texas-adultery-committed-24604.html

But I have a feeling you don't want an attorney website so because I'm such a goshdarn generous little thing, here's the actual statute.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.7.htm

Specifically:

(c) In making a just and right division of the reconstituted estate under Section 7.001, the court may grant any legal or equitable relief necessary to accomplish a just and right division, including:
(1) awarding to the wronged spouse an appropriate share of the community estate remaining after the actual or constructive fraud on the community;
(2) awarding a money judgment in favor of the wronged spouse against the spouse who committed the actual or constructive fraud on the community; or
(3) awarding to the wronged spouse both a money judgment and an appropriate share of the community estate.

Added by Acts 2011, 82nd Leg., R.S., Ch. 487 (H.B. 908), Sec. 1, eff. September 1, 2011.
Now. If you want more info than that, feel free to go and Google yourself.

:D

mr. spock

It's relevant. They can subpoena her and her records to find out if she has been taking money from you, marital funds, if you've been contributing to her financially in any way. It's a tool to get you to say, "ok, I'll do whatever you want in order to keep my friend from being dragged into my divorce." Your friend may have to get a lawyer in order to quash the subpoenas. It could be a mess. Depositions can be brought if they have the POTENTIAL to bring out anything useful. However, all this is expensive for each of you.
At least that's how I understand it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Geezy Petesickles! OP has stated that he did not sleep with said friend. This does not mean OP didn't spend money on said friend. Marital funds. And I would bet that is where stbx is going.

For thopse of you who would like to continue the pissing match? The tree is out the door to the right. Leave the rest of us in peace.

Bali Hai

Geezy Petesickles! OP has stated that he did not sleep with said friend. This does not mean OP didn't spend money on said friend. Marital funds. And I would bet that is where stbx is going.

For thopse of you who would like to continue the pissing match? The tree is out the door to the right. Leave the rest of us in peace.
So who yanked my post and for what reason? That really pisses me off!

Proserpina

Please allow me to be so bold as to clarify the situation.

OP posted.

Two posters misread his post, and responded accordingly. OP got (rightly) annoyed and responded accordingly to the previous response.

After cleaning up the mishap, the OP did receive at least one apology.

Then I don't know what happened because while I had 10 year old painting my toenails a most delicious shade of peuce, I looked away as did most everyone else.

It all went downhill pretty much after that. Case law and statute were cited, but eventually dismissed because they were by and large irrelevant.

Bali said something. Bali's post got removed for whatever reason (I didn't even get the joy of reading the original dratted thing).

Which brings us back to Doh! ray, me, and other joys.

If nothing else, at least we know what Texas says about the whole thing!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">