• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card balance after disolusionment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rppearso

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AK

I have filed for a disolusionment and my ex agreed to pay the credit card bill that she racked up after she left me but the card is in my name and she is now not paying the balance, the credit card company has closed the card to future charges but the balance is around 15K the card had less than 2K left to pay on it when she left and that ballance would have been paid with a settlement from a separate issue. I do not intend to pay the debt as my bills are tight and money in the bank and paying off student loans (which as non bankruptable) is more important than her debt, the credit card company said if it went to collections I would have an R9 on my credit and not be able to get credit for 7 years (basicly it sounds as bad as a bankrupcy). My student loans come first and formost to anything else as my parents are co signers and the ballance is very high so I am planning to make balloon payments to get free of them. Is there anyway to get this off my credit through the courts regardless of what she does?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AK

I have filed for a disolusionment and my ex agreed to pay the credit card bill that she racked up after she left me but the card is in my name and she is now not paying the balance, the credit card company has closed the card to future charges but the balance is around 15K the card had less than 2K left to pay on it when she left and that ballance would have been paid with a settlement from a separate issue. I do not intend to pay the debt as my bills are tight and money in the bank and paying off student loans (which as non bankruptable) is more important than her debt, the credit card company said if it went to collections I would have an R9 on my credit and not be able to get credit for 7 years (basicly it sounds as bad as a bankrupcy). My student loans come first and formost to anything else as my parents are co signers and the ballance is very high so I am planning to make balloon payments to get free of them. Is there anyway to get this off my credit through the courts regardless of what she does?
As long as the credit card companies are concerned this is your account ~ they are not a party to your divorce or "disolusionment" as you call it. Your credit will be affected if it is not paid. You can take a portion of those balloon payments you are going to make and pay off the card to keep your creditworthiness, then sue your ex.

LdiJ

As long as the credit card companies are concerned this is your account ~ they are not a party to your divorce or "disolusionment" as you call it. Your credit will be affected if it is not paid. You can take a portion of those balloon payments you are going to make and pay off the card to keep your creditworthiness, then sue your ex.
I agree....

I will also point out, for the sake of others reading this thread, that you could have cancelled that account the moment the two of you split up. If you had done so, she would not have been able to rack up an addtional 13k in debt.

rppearso

I agree....

I will also point out, for the sake of others reading this thread, that you could have cancelled that account the moment the two of you split up. If you had done so, she would not have been able to rack up an addtional 13k in debt.
I agree keeping the card open was part of the terms of our separation and that she pay it off. Student loans come way before credit cards because the terms of the loan are not disolvable in bankrupcy and if they can effect my credit just as bad and actually worse because it can effect my parents credit, I want them paid off because I will be looking to buy a plane and paying on debt that I did not create is counterproductive to that goal. It sounds like I am stuck with an R9 and will be living off cash only for a while which is fine.

mistoffolees

I agree keeping the card open was part of the terms of our separation and that she pay it off. Student loans come way before credit cards because the terms of the loan are not disolvable in bankrupcy and if they can effect my credit just as bad and actually worse because it can effect my parents credit, I want them paid off because I will be looking to buy a plane and paying on debt that I did not create is counterproductive to that goal. It sounds like I am stuck with an R9 and will be living off cash only for a while which is fine.
Unless I'm missing something, the agreement that he will pay off the debt is not likely to be enforceable if it was just a verbal agreement between the two of you. If it was in a divorce or separation agreement SIGNED BY A JUDGE, then you would have grounds to sue to collect your money back. As it is, you are likely to have a battle.

There are few, if any, times when it makes sense to leave a stbx access to credit in your name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">