• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card debt question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Safespecs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA
In our divorce decree, it stated my ex-husband is responsible for a credit card debt in my name. He is making payments and making them late. Of course, the credit card company is not going to honor the court order, as I know. In other words, I realize I am the responsible party to the credit card contract. I have tried to get the ex to put the credit card in his name by the credit card company's way to do so but he refuses. Is it better to try to file contempt of court, or request a clarification of the divorce decree, if I want to get this debt out of my name? Thanks so much!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

In our divorce decree, it stated my ex-husband is responsible for a credit card debt in my name. He is making payments and making them late. Of course, the credit card company is not going to honor the court order, as I know. In other words, I realize I am the responsible party to the credit card contract. I have tried to get the ex to put the credit card in his name by the credit card company's way to do so but he refuses. Is it better to try to file contempt of court, or request a clarification of the divorce decree, if I want to get this debt out of my name? Thanks so much!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Even if the court would order him to refinance the debt into his own name, are you certain that he would be able to qualify to refinance the debt? That is usually the problem. A court cannot order anyone to give him credit.

One thing that you could do is make one minimum payment on the card (without telling him) so that his payments would look early, rather than late. (assuming he isn't getting the bill sent directly to him).

mistoffolees

I would cancel the card so he can't add any more debt to it. If he can get a chard in his name, he's free to do so. If he can't, you don't want him to have access to your credit.

Then, for existing debt, you can either hope he pays it or you can pay it yourself and then ask the court to order him to reimburse you (to protect your own credit rating). Or, take the evidence to the court saying that he is late on the debt and have him ordered to pay off the full balance.

Finally, you should contact the credit card company with a copy of your decree. They're not going to take you off the debt, but they MIGHT be a little more flexible before they ding your credit rating. It's not a sure thing by any means, but probably worth the time to send a letter.

Safespecs

I would cancel the card so he can't add any more debt to it. If he can get a chard in his name, he's free to do so. If he can't, you don't want him to have access to your credit.

Then, for existing debt, you can either hope he pays it or you can pay it yourself and then ask the court to order him to reimburse you (to protect your own credit rating). Or, take the evidence to the court saying that he is late on the debt and have him ordered to pay off the full balance.

Finally, you should contact the credit card company with a copy of your decree. They're not going to take you off the debt, but they MIGHT be a little more flexible before they ding your credit rating. It's not a sure thing by any means, but probably worth the time to send a letter.
Thanks, I did send a letter and the decree copy to the credit card company. I believe I might get my atty to take the evidence to the court and try to get the full balance paid or balance transfered to his own accounts. I am so tired of watching to see if he is going to pay and the connection that is left to deal with all the time.

mistoffolees

Thanks, I did send a letter and the decree copy to the credit card company. I believe I might get my atty to take the evidence to the court and try to get the full balance paid or balance transfered to his own accounts. I am so tired of watching to see if he is going to pay and the connection that is left to deal with all the time.
Did you cancel the card or order the account frozen so that no additional charges can be added? That may be the most important step of all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">