• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card debt in settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bugsmom18

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Recently found out that two of my ex's credit cards are actually joint accounts. We did not have joint anything except for our mortgage. Is there anyway that I can dispute having to split this? We have already agreed that we each are responsible for individual debts and ex wants the house but I do not want to get stuck paying for these cc's as I didn't use them or even know of them until recently. Also, what are the chances of contacting the credit card company to see the original credit application to see if my signature was forged? The credit cards are now over 90 days late (I haven't been contacted at all from the cc company but just pulled a credit report to make sure those are the only two "joint accounts" and it shows a minimum due of $500! Please help!!

djohnson

Contact the credit card companies to make sure you are joint. Sometimes when you are married things will show up on both that really aren't. See what is going on with the actual company then ask for validation.

bugsmom18

I contacted the credit card company as soon as I knew that my name was on it and they allowed me to close the account. Does it matter if we each have other credit individual credit cards or will it all be divided per equitable distribution?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">