• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this a crime ?!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Serious999

What is the name of your state? FL

Hi,
Right to the point.
Me and my wife are separated for 2 months, she is staying in her house and I moved out and bought my own house. As reqired I did a change of mailing address, however, some mail, particularly mail from my mother in Russia, is still getting back to her mailing address. So, time to time, I'm stopping by to pick up mail at her house. Recently, my wife was away for a week on the trip. Consequently, I stopped one day to pick up the mail and entered the house with the house key for that. I have the house key and she also knows the combination of my door at my house. After she got back, neighbors said they saw me in the house (well, big deal, I wasn't hiding or anything I even said hello). Now she is filing criminal charges for "braking and entering".
Can she persecute me for that? Is this a crime to get own mail? What are my options? Is a defence possible?
PLEASE HELP.

:confused:

D

DMoorman

Wife's house?

If she's given you a key, no divorce papers have been filed, I can't see how she'd get anywhere with filing charges. Is your name on the mortgage at her home? Never the less, you've got a key and she knows it and odds are you still have belongings there.

S

Serious999

This thread will be closed. The story and additional info continues on:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125995

To DMorman

The key I had from long ago since we were together. Multiple copies of all house/car keys were made in case it gets lost (which happened a lot). It never came to the point of me giving all the keys away (except Garage Door opener). Divorce papers were never filled. And obviously, some of my belongings are still there. I am not even talking about the stuff of mine I left for her: furniture, TV, stereo, electronics, computer, tools, etc, etc. Because initialy, the separation on both sides was never ment to break the marriage completely apart - just take the time off and end up the fights. But now it grew up into something that I feel sorry I ever met her in my life.
"hmmmdz" is right I need to get a lawyer (great - extra expenses and potential big troubles I'm 'so looking forward to').

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">