• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

current "ex" wife doesn't want a divorce. .help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blue_angel_29

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My situation is very complicated.

My boyfriend that lives with me, Mexican citizen, came to the US with work visa and overstayed. He's been here for at least 7 years. We meet 3 years ago and lived for 2 years now. We want to get married but....

1. His dad, in Mexico, "gave" him a property, a land, under his (my bf) name when he was still in Mexico about 10 or so years ago. My bf doesn't want to do anything with this land so he wants to give it back to his dad's name. But since he was already married, he'll have to split it with his wife, or his wife needs to give permission to tanner title. She's a real pain and wouldn't do it. Can we do anything else on this matter, I mean this is Mexican law, but if anybody has an idea, I'm very open to it.

2. He has 2 daughters in Mexico living with his family and his "ex" wife lives with them. They all live together. What he tells me, the ex wife never worked and lived off what he sends her. She doesn't take care of the kids, his mom (my bf mom) does. So, if he filled a divorce here in Texas, what will become of the kids? Will get custody? Will it be shared custody? He wants the kids here in the US.

3. We genuinely love each other and really want to get married and get papers started but we can't do anything until he's divorced. Are we really stuck or is there a loophole somewhere?

I've already checked if he's elugible for AoS, he is. We just really need to be married, legally.

I'mTheFather

My boyfriend that lives with me, Mexican citizen, came to the US with work visa and overstayed. He's been here for at least 7 years. We meet 3 years ago and lived for 2 years now. We want to get married but....

1. His dad, in Mexico, "gave" him a property, a land, under his (my bf) name when he was still in Mexico about 10 or so years ago. My bf doesn't want to do anything with this land so he wants to give it back to his dad's name. But since he was already married, he'll have to split it with his wife, or his wife needs to give permission to tanner title. She's a real pain and wouldn't do it. Can we do anything else on this matter, I mean this is Mexican law, but if anybody has an idea, I'm very open to it.

2. He has 2 daughters in Mexico living with his family and his "ex" wife lives with them. They all live together. What he tells me, the ex wife never worked and lived off what he sends her. She doesn't take care of the kids, his mom (my bf mom) does. So, if he filled a divorce here in Texas, what will become of the kids? Will get custody? Will it be shared custody? He wants the kids here in the US.

3. We genuinely love each other and really want to get married and get papers started but we can't do anything until he's divorced. Are we really stuck or is there a loophole somewhere?

I've already checked if he's elugible for AoS, he is. We just really need to be married, legally.
US Law only, but I will tell you that your boyfriend will never have custody of the children unless his wife agrees.

And it's another skin-crawler...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well..... He can file for divorce in TX, but that will not solve his land OR custody issues. TX has no jurisdiction over property - or kids - in another country. Among his other issues.

Proserpina

I'm going to be upfront with you. You're being played left, right & center. He's been here for 7 years, yes? How many times has he crossed back and forth illegally? Exactly what has he done during these 7 years in order to ensure he gets custody ... in the US?

Tread very, very carefully.

Bali Hai

That may change when Trump is in the White House.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If it does, you and I are going to pick up a few people around the country and we're all going to my island in the South Pacific.

Srsly.
Can I go too? I promise to stay to my own side of the island with my family but I don't want to be here with a Trump presidency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">