• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melinda24

I'm quoting this I found on this site:
"Can custody rights be modified?

Absolutely. You can go back to court to change a custody order if there is a substantial change of circumstance that has a significant...

Alternatively, the ex-spouses can voluntarily modify the last order by agreeing to changes between themselves. If there is a departure from the last custody order, it is best to put the new current changes in writing; oral agreements are difficult to enforce."

In the second paragraph "voluntarily modify", and "oral agreements", then it does not have to be legally modified through the court, we (my ex and I) can draft up something ourselves and we both sign it? We can settle it ourselves outside of court?

LdiJ

melinda24 said:
I'm quoting this I found on this site:
"Can custody rights be modified?

Absolutely. You can go back to court to change a custody order if there is a substantial change of circumstance that has a significant...

Alternatively, the ex-spouses can voluntarily modify the last order by agreeing to changes between themselves. If there is a departure from the last custody order, it is best to put the new current changes in writing; oral agreements are difficult to enforce."

In the second paragraph "voluntarily modify", and "oral agreements", then it does not have to be legally modified through the court, we (my ex and I) can draft up something ourselves and we both sign it? We can settle it ourselves outside of court?
Sure you can, but it wouldn't be enforceable. If you are both honorable people and would honor a written agreement its no problem. Otherwise, its best to submit the agreement to the court for the judge's signature.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">