• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody of children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marie342005

What is the name of your state?OH
My ex and I just had our divorced finalized in August. The judge gave him full custody of the children and divided the property 75% for ex 25% for me. My lawyer and I filed and appeal mostly because of the children, but also because of the totally one sided division of property. Now my ex and his lawyer want to settle out of court. He wants to do shared parenting , but with him being residential for school purposes, and they want to discuss the property division. He needs $20,000 for his lawyer up front for the appeal and I think this is why he wants to talk. My question is what exactly is residential parent for school purposes and what rights does that give him over me? My lawyer is out of town so I can't ask him. I would eventually like to get full custody of my children. Would it be possible for the court to accept him residential for 3 and me residential for three but still do shared parenting on all 6? I know he wont agree to my being residential for all 6 but I dont want to give up that if it is important to me eventually getting full custody. Can someone please explain what residential parent for school purposes really means and what power that gives that parent over the other? As for the division of the property should I use what he wants as a bargaining chip to get him to give me the children since I could care less about the property, just want my children, and if so how should I go about it?

LdiJ

marie342005 said:
What is the name of your state?OH
My ex and I just had our divorced finalized in August. The judge gave him full custody of the children and divided the property 75% for ex 25% for me. My lawyer and I filed and appeal mostly because of the children, but also because of the totally one sided division of property. Now my ex and his lawyer want to settle out of court. He wants to do shared parenting , but with him being residential for school purposes, and they want to discuss the property division. He needs $20,000 for his lawyer up front for the appeal and I think this is why he wants to talk. My question is what exactly is residential parent for school purposes and what rights does that give him over me? My lawyer is out of town so I can't ask him. I would eventually like to get full custody of my children. Would it be possible for the court to accept him residential for 3 and me residential for three but still do shared parenting on all 6? I know he wont agree to my being residential for all 6 but I dont want to give up that if it is important to me eventually getting full custody. Can someone please explain what residential parent for school purposes really means and what power that gives that parent over the other? As for the division of the property should I use what he wants as a bargaining chip to get him to give me the children since I could care less about the property, just want my children, and if so how should I go about it?
It means that for legal purposes his home would be the children's address. They would go to school in his school district and you would have to get them back and forth to school during your days. It also means that he could move them far enough away in your community that it might makes things tough for you to get them back and forth to school. However, if you add a stipulation that the children must remain living in their current school district that would eliminate that problem. You should also stipulate a true 50/50 timeshare.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">