• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody and Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gaeagles

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I am in the process of getting a divorce from my wife of 7 yrs. We have two children. Our house is in my parents name, she says that she is going to take the house. I know she can't get the house but will she be able to stay there and make me leave? And if she can is there anything I can do about her not getting the house. We are both going for joint custody of the children the arguement over them is who is the primary care giver. Her family has nothing to do with the children and mine take care of the kids when I'm at work and she is at school. She is a seven year student with yet another year to go. So I'm guessing she will get alimony of some sort. But I do have pics of bruises she has put on the children and signed affidavit's from people whom she has said various bad things about the children to and she is on anti depressants to control her urges to scream at them.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I am in the process of getting a divorce from my wife of 7 yrs. We have two children. Our house is in my parents name, she says that she is going to take the house. I know she can't get the house but will she be able to stay there and make me leave? And if she can is there anything I can do about her not getting the house. We are both going for joint custody of the children the arguement over them is who is the primary care giver. Her family has nothing to do with the children and mine take care of the kids when I'm at work and she is at school. She is a seven year student with yet another year to go. So I'm guessing she will get alimony of some sort. But I do have pics of bruises she has put on the children and signed affidavit's from people whom she has said various bad things about the children to and she is on anti depressants to control her urges to scream at them.
Did you call the police when she assaulted the children? If yes...What happened?

nextwife

If she bruised the children, did you report the abuse?

And your wife cannot acquire a marital property interest in an asset owned by a third party.

Have you FILED for custody?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
When did she bruise the children? What did you do about the bruises? Did you take the children to the doctor? How old are the children? How long ago did were the children bruised? Where are the children now?

gaeagles

The bruises were from a year ago. And my stupid butt didn't do anything about it at the time b/c they were in therapy and I was worried I wouldn't get my children b/c I listened to people whom didn't know any better. So no I didn't report it and now I'm regretting it. But I am going to file for custody I have talked with a lawyer and with all the things I have on her from previous employment and other things that I might have a chance. I'm just worried that we will get split custody with her as the primary like she wants. Does it make a difference that her family has nothing to do with the children till now that we are going for divorce? My family keeps the kids when we go places my brother keeps them when I'm working and she is at school. Mine come to visit at least four times a week kids go to church with them. Hers haven't been to our house but three times literally in 7 yrs. And have never stayed more than 1 hr.

mommyof4

The bruises were from a year ago. And my stupid butt didn't do anything about it at the time b/c they were in therapy and I was worried I wouldn't get my children b/c I listened to people whom didn't know any better. So no I didn't report it and now I'm regretting it. But I am going to file for custody I have talked with a lawyer and with all the things I have on her from previous employment and other things that I might have a chance. I'm just worried that we will get split custody with her as the primary like she wants. Does it make a difference that her family has nothing to do with the children till now that we are going for divorce? My family keeps the kids when we go places my brother keeps them when I'm working and she is at school. Mine come to visit at least four times a week kids go to church with them. Hers haven't been to our house but three times literally in 7 yrs. And have never stayed more than 1 hr.
No report? No documentation that she is abusive? Going to be pretty dang hard to throw that at her. Your pictures don't amount to diddly. There is no way to prove that SHE is the one that bruised the children.

Your family helping out doesn't matter. This is about the children and the parents of those children. Your family has no rights or responsibility for these children.

How do you think her employment history comes into play for custody?

She is a 7 year student. You obviously have no problem with her for attending school as you have supported her doing so.

gaeagles

All I did about the bruises was take pictures for proof hoping that when I leave her I would have a better chance of getting them.

mommyof4

All I did about the bruises was take pictures for proof hoping that when I leave her I would have a better chance of getting them.
...and again...

HOW do the pictures you have prove that SHE is the one that bruised the children? Do you see the problem?

Most likely, unless she just gives in or she just crucifies herself in court, you will have a shared custody plan.

gaeagles

i have no problem with shared custody she's on medication now and is different with them. I just want to be the primary and not her

LdiJ

i have no problem with shared custody she's on medication now and is different with them. I just want to be the primary and not her
If she has been the children's primary caretaker, then your odds of getting primary are not strong. You have no proof that she ever abused the children.

mommyof4

It's not as though I could force her to get off her lazy butt and get a job.
No, but you didn't seem to mind that 'lazy butt' for 7 years and 2 children, did you? THAT is why that argument is pointless.

The attitude you are displaying leaves a bit to be desired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">