• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter divorcing husband in jail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jessica'smom

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My daughter married at 18 to a young man who was arrested and sentenced to jail for 2 1/2 years, for sexual assault and haressment of another indivdidual. They were only together as a married couple for 1 month before he started serving his sentence. She has since decided that she no longer wants to be married to him. She tried to get an annullement, but he would not sign the papers. In his eyes he would be the one to file for divorce if thats what she wanted. Now he is coming back at her to pay all of his credit card bills and to pay him for the engagement ring. She had to sell it because she lost her job and needed the money. A judge has ordered her to pay for these. The divorce is not yet final and will be in July. How can a criminal in jail have so much power to do this to my daughter who has done nothing wrong. There was no pre-nup. What recourse does my daughter have? I live in a different state than she does, so it is difficult to find help, answers, etc.

CourtClerk

The recourse your daughter has is to pay the things the judge ordered her to, or find herself back in front of him facing contempt of court charges.

She is not innocent in this. She chose him. She wanted to (even if only temporarily) lay up with a criminal who probably wasn't an upstanding individual when she met him.

LdiJ

Your daughter did sell the engagement ring, and I would guess that she was also the one who ran up the credit cards. That is probably why the judge ordered her to pay for these items.

Bali Hai

Your daughter did sell the engagement ring, and I would guess that she was also the one who ran up the credit cards. That is probably why the judge ordered her to pay for these items.
But, but, but, the MAN is supposed to pay for everything!! Women are supposed to GET money from a divorce, not PAY it!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">