• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Death of a spouse during separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

payneamy

My father died late last month. He and his wife have not seen each other for over four years. He has no money and no property. He was unemployed and had no life insurance policies to will to anyone. I did not know how to contact his wife, therefore I chose to have the county declare him indigent. I decided to have his body creamated and hold a private ceremony. His siblings wanted to have a burial and a funeral. Disagreeing with my decision and not having the money themselves to put up for the burial, they were able to contact his wife and ask her to stop me from my plan to have my father creamated. She has told me that it is her way of paying him back for ever coming into her life and she will not sign anything allowing me to do anything with his body. She has decided that his body will remain in the morgue for as long as legally possible. i was informed that there was no time limit on forcing her to sign the paper. What can I do to over ride her and lay him to rest?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">